Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

25% loss of download speed on fibre extra

FIXED
Biggles266

25% loss of download speed on fibre extra

(pls see attached PNG)

Phoned support, jumped through all their hoops,  but adamant they could only swap router - now done that and not one iota of difference, router speed exactly the same.

My suspicion is that Openreach did something to my line/box on that fateful day in Feb!!!

What do you guys think?  30mb is a bit pants for fibre extra (tho i love the ping)!

5 REPLIES 5
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: 25% loss of download speed on fibre extra

Hi @Biggles266 

Sorry to hear you are not happy with the speeds you are receiving. 

The MGAL for your line is 30.1Mbps and our supplier Estimated Speed Range is has a Low Estimate of 34.4Mbps. 

I've checked your line and your router is currently syncing at 35.0Mbps. 

Whilst you are only slightly above the Low Estimate, I'm afraid our supplier would not class this as falling in to the category of Speed Issues. 

Kind Regards, 

Biggles266

Thanks for the reply, but it's of no use to me whatsoever is it?

You have totally failed to address my question, just like the support guy when I telephoned. The MGAL on my line is not the question.

ANSWER MY QUESTION!

Why, after having many months at 42mb has this dropped to 32mb - SIMPLES!

There has to be a technical answer doesn't there?

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Fix

Hi @Biggles266

Thanks for coming back to us.

You're absolutely spot on that there has to be a technical cause to the speed drop - truth be told there are numerous reasons why this might have happened, including the condition of the line, the equipment or other usage in the area (see crosstalk link below):

https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2014/vectoring-crosstalk-crisis

As my colleague Alisdair has alluded to, we are only able to escalate a speed issue to our suppliers if the line syncs below the estimates for the line. As your current speed is above this estimate, we are limited to how we can progress this on your behalf.

I appreciate that the speed drop is frustrating, but it does happen and that's precisely why the line estimates are provided as a bracket, rather than a specific figure.

Best wishes,

Dave

Biggles266

Thanks for explanation Dave.  Bit like the ole contention ratio stuff eh?  I didn't know fibre was affected, so lesson learned! Thumbs_Up

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No worries. Whilst capacity/congestion issues can affect both ADSL and FTTC, cross talk only affects FTTC and unfortunately there's not much we can do about that.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet