Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20% reduction in sync rate deemed acceptable by BT / Plusnet

moansalot13
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

20% reduction in sync rate deemed acceptable by BT / Plusnet

Hi just though I' share this for views / comments - before  potentially taking it up with OFCOM

Signed up last year for Fibre extra 80/20  plusnet / BT estimate for my line was  72.5/80 Mbps  and after some issues with a line fault ( line cut in pavement by contractors exposing cable for BT Underground team ) 

line was reasonably steady at Circa 70Mbps  however after a deteriation to high 40@s engineer replaced Master socket  and speed test for approx 6 weeks were showing 72-75 Mbps d/l  with high 18's upload.

Okay to get to my point  - it appears that BTW have revised the "acceptable range" for my  line from the previous 72.5 - 80 Mbps and dropped the lowest acceptable speed for my Line  down to 62.5 MBPS  

My line is now struggling to make the low end  of that speed range  - this represents and approx 20% reduction in service  - despite thae fact that my line was achieving 72-75 Mbps d/l speeds for a 6 week period  earlier this year.

Engineer called Saturday morning ( no prior appointment made by Plusnet)  as result of fault raised ( sync had dropped briefly to 4-5 Mbps - but returned to high 50's  fairly promptly.) 

Didn't find any issues with Internal wiring and changed ports at Cabinet  ( 450 mtr away) not substantial improvement  but SNR  returned to normal 6.0 level - Had been a  bit higher

ISP/BTW  comments  - the reduction is due for Congestion / Cross talk  and they doubt that anything further can be done. to improve speeds ( still of course paying for a 80/20 service ) but actually now only receiving 80% of initial estimates  / Max levels previous;y achieved

any views comments welcome

14 REPLIES 14
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: 20% reduction in sync rate deemed acceptable by BT / Plusnet

Yes its daft ,, i have been told that on my 80/20, actual speed 72/18  if i drop to  50 is NOT classed as a fault Crazy2

i have to go below 50 for it to ba fault ?

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
moansalot13
Rising Star

The other  issue is what are they actually  working  from for line speeds 

are they quoting  Line Sync speeds  at the Cabinet/exchange - which they refer to a sync speed  or  actual d/l speeds achieved by the customer at there Modem which can be anywhere between 2-6 Mb  more  -  let me be a cynic for a minute  - of damm it will be the first set of figures 

I appreciate line conditions  / line length affect the final speeds achieved  - but until everyone gets FTTP  ( not holding my breath here)  quoted speeds / promises should be based on real life - conditions  and not basis  your house being  situated next door to Exchange or the Green Cabinet

mikcav

if its now 62.5 MBPS be happy as thats 500 Mb/s

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,596

Whilst it's very frustrating for everyone involved to see line estimates drop, this can happen and it's beyond our control.

If the sync speed that your router connects to the cabinet at, falls within the estimates and if we arrange an engineer, it's likely that the fault report would be rejected, the engineer reporting back right when tested which basically means no fault found.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
moansalot13
Rising Star

Gandalf / Anoush

pretty poor response  - Plusnet  sold me  service basis an Estimated Sped of 72.5 - 80 Mbps  also confirmed by BTW line test at the time of the Order -

I chose Plusnet over Virgin for phone and b/b  view family member issues with Virgin Customer Service.

However both Plusnet  / Openreach  seem happy with the lower limits for the service now having dropped  to 62.4 Mbps  - at last check  - with my service struggling to make that speed.

Plusnet however  is still happily  taking the Original subscription cost.

What's to stop Openreach/BTW  further reducing the Min Sync rate  - after all they have all ready arbitrarily reduced it by 10 Mbps without any warning. 

Basis your argument the line speed could say be reduced to 30 Mbps  and I would have no recourse  - the line speeds would originally have only to  fall below 72.5 Mbps for there to be deemed a fault  - now anything below 62.4 Mbps  - would be deemed worthy of reporting an issue/fault  - where does this stop !.

I currently have 3 separate Plusnet accounts at different locations  ( 2 Adsl ) plus this connection and basis previous service received  I was happy to recommend Plusnet to friends and Colleagues  (  and happy to do so without using customer referral  discount  )- I'm afraid that this will no longer be the case

.Lengthy Call's  ( on hold) to customer service  - 40 min last time around and the removal of option to raise a ticket from the portal 

Co-incidentally  the reduced line sync seems to have become an issue around about the time that I had to sign up for a new 18 Mth contract  despite being only 10 months into an existing  18 month contract  ( due to revised pricing from June)  

A disgruntled customer

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,596

Sorry that you don't like my response. As much as we'd love to get your line speed back up, if it falls within the estimates the fault report would ultimately be rejected by our suppliers. This is beyond our control.

The Plusnet package you're on is advertised as up to 76mbps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

One of the issues seems to be the way line estimates are generated after your service is up and running.

Once up and running, the line estimates are revised based on the actual speeds you are getting. This means that if your service is impacted for any reason, or under performing, your new line estimates will be based on the lower speeds you are getting. This, in turn, means it is very difficult to get a speed fault investigated, because now your line is performing within estimates (a flawed estimated calculated based on an impacted service). It is a totally flawed system.

moansalot13
Rising Star

Dialogue continues

moansalot13
Rising Star

Just run DSL Checker  refer link below

When account opened  / service initiated  - I was on a  A (Clean ) exchange with  an original estimate 80 - 72.5

just re running DSL Checker  - it's now showing the min speed for a "Clean" exchange as 62.5 Mbps which I'm struggling to sync at.

However the kicker is the final line of the attached  - It appears that my exchange is now considered as an Impacted  ie B exchange with  speed range 70.6 - 39.8  - so looks like service could in theory get even worse  - at no time have I been advised that my exchange is now considered as Impacted which would reduce service speed.  - I'm sill on and paying for  80/20 Fibre Unlimited Extra package  (which now seem to be only  advertised as up to 76Mbps d/l)

http://vvcap.com/qoZYAUdlpTn

dannyboy75
Rising Star

Yawn.

You were never guaranteed a specific speed, only a maximum. In fact the speeds you do get are better than most people on fibre. Get over it and move on with your life, for the love of god.

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Impacted doesn't refer to an exchange being impacted, it refers to your line being impacted. So, ignoring comments telling you to be happy on the basis your speed is faster than other peoples' speed, I still think it is worth investigation.

moansalot13
Rising Star

this from email  confirming new contract  may 2017 - names removed

*******  - CSC Analyst
2:34pm, Tuesday 23 May 2017

Dear Mr ***********,

Thank you for your call today. Please keep a copy of this e-mail for your records. As discussed, I’ve made the following changes to your Plusnet service:

Your estimated line speed is 78-80mbps, however this may vary due to the distance from your exchange, quality of your phone line, traffic prioritisation and management policies amongst other factors.

however discovered this  this is on my account info   same date but not disclosed at time of renewing contract - if so i would never have resigned  ( original signup email email stated 72.5 - 80 Mb ) I have copy  but it's on other pc and i don't have access to it - but was provided in recent ticket / forum post.

Phone exchange:DARLINGTON

Estimated line speed:80Mb (This may vary between 62.5Mb and 80Mb) - Checked on 2017-05-23 15:33:18

Current line speed:61.6 Mb

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

The market B exchange classification is nothing to with VDSL Range B (impacted) sync rates. It is a low cost exchange which has LLU providers as well as BT. As previously stated the Range A or B information is for your individual line.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Downgrade to the "Up to 38Mb" service if you're that bothered about not getting the full amount that you think you're paying for.