cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 week old Fibre Extra avereage of 14 downstream on wireless, Is this it?

Cerbera7

2 week old Fibre Extra avereage of 14 downstream on wireless, Is this it?

Hi guys,
I'm new to this. Found ADSL with Sky wasn't punching its weight with 2 or 3 devices on wireless so got 78 mbs fibre extra installed. I was told for first 10 days line would be unstable (down and up speeds). So have waited, bit unhappy as most of the time my Ipad and streaming still buffers. Ive ran a couple of different types of speed checks over last few days on 3 different devices. I have managed to get 29 mbs twice. The rest of the time I get between 8 and 15. Which is way below the line speed of 77 they have told me. I understand on wireless you cannot get anywhere near the high speeds but I'm getting lower speed on my Ipad than on ADSL.............Anyone any advice would be welcome.
Regards
4 REPLIES 4
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: 2 week old Fibre Extra avereage of 14 downstream on wireless, Is this it?

Have you tried a wired speed test and if so what were the results?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ajbrown1965
Grafter

Have you run a check with a program such as Inssider to see if there are other pieces of equipment nearby using the same wifi channel? This can cause a lot of problems. If so it should be fairly straightforward to change the Channel your router is using. Also, assuming your router is 802.11n, are your wireless devices capable of receiving this? My wife's laptop was only capable of receiving 802.11g so I purchased an inexpensive USB dongle to up the computer to 802.11n and almost doubled the speed results from about 20Mbps to just over 40.  As Old Jim has suggested, try a speed test with a machine wired into the router to see exactly what speed you are getting. Based on my own results with 3 or 4 different devices I would say if you get 60% of that speed over wifi you are not doing too badly.
Cerbera7

Thanks for the replies guys. I havent ran a wired test yet but all devices are n rated not g. Tonite the ookla speedtest is averaging 8mbs. Thats terrible in a town that both plusnet and bt claim i am getting 77mbs. Help anyone........would.homeplugs work?
sjptd
Grafter

Run the BT wholesale tester at  http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and continue to Further Diagnostics.  Post the full results.
If that shows a high download profile speed with you just getting a small proportion it could be down to wifi.
It could also be down to Plusnet having set you up with the wrong profile; you can check that on https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate
If that's the case a phone call will have them fix it, or they may pick it up on this forum thread.