cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 issues - slow speed and dropping WiFi

MrZ

2 issues - slow speed and dropping WiFi

Hi all,

Given up waiting on trying to contact Plusnet via phone - i've tried multiple times over the past couple of weeks, just to be on hold for ages, or the one time I finally got through I get disconnected.

We seem to have 2 issues:

1) for the past 6 months or so we've had times when our D/L speed drops right down. We're guaranteed 22 but it has been dropping to 13-16 at times (measured with the BT Wholesale tester).

2) We've lived with the occassional speed drops because at least the internet still works - but the WiFi has been dropping out completely, and more regularly in the past few weeks (We have a Hub One). It usually comes back again after maybe 60 seconds (sometimes can be up to a few mins), but it is very frustrating given i'm working from home and need to take video calls. We also notice it when trying to stream with Netflix etc - get a "no internet error". Most devices are connected via WiFi and it happens with all of them (iOS, Android, Windows Laptops). Doesn't seem to be any pattern to the drop out - some days can be fine, others it happens repeatedly in the same day. Router has always been a bit noisy, but seems to be noisier of late, although not sure if i'm imagining it.

Any thoughts? Or any ability to speak with anyone from Plusnet who can actually help?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: 2 issues - slow speed and dropping WiFi

Welcome to the Forum @MrZ 

I can't help you on the line speed but there is some help on the Plusnet website on how to try to improve wifi.

One thing it is worth trying is giving each signal a different ID. It seems an odd thing to do - and why you just started having problems is another question - but it is one of the steps that have been known to help with wifi problems on a Hub One. How to give each signal a different ID is at https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Devices-stop-working-on-5-GHz-connection-Wifi-drops/m-p/1395...

Please let us know how you get on.

MrZ

Re: 2 issues - slow speed and dropping WiFi

Thanks for the tip - i'll try this and see if it helps with the WiFi