cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

19mpbs down on PC but 37mbps down on phone and other devices?

Slick15

19mpbs down on PC but 37mbps down on phone and other devices?

Hello, recently we've received plusnet fibre, and connected it today. I know it says to wait 10 days for it to become stable, but however it seems great and for most of the appliances we own we get the stated 37mpbs download speed. But for an unknown reason, the PC we have in the house only gets around 17mbps download speed. The computer uses a WiFi USB to connect to the internet and that has a maximum of 150mbps download speed. So, we're definitely getting the maximum on the device. It also is not the location of the computer, as I have run a speed test on my phone via the app and get 37 down on that too, in the same location. I do not believe at the MOMENT that it is the USB, as before we had the fibre, we had regular broadband and I'd get the maximum stated speed for that too. I've also tried changing the USB's port it was connected to just in case it was a faulty port. Not that either.  Undecided I would appreciate some help on the matter as soon as possible. Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: 19mpbs down on PC but 37mbps down on phone and other devices?

Hi Slick15 , Sorry but there is NO 10 days wait for fibre !!
I dont know who said this but they wrong  Sad
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
bales1983
Grafter

Not to get too technical here im waiting for my fibre installation and think I may also find a speed drop from my PC, it may well be the USB adapter as although Wifi N 150mbps states you are connected at 150mps that is just the link speed the actual data throughput is much lower but id still expect it to top out at about 30mbps. If possible you could run an ethernet lead to the router to test its not the PC at fault. Alternatively consider powerline adapters or a new USB adapter with WIFI AC speeds, even better if your sockets are USB 3.0, they ate usually blue sockets Smiley
Slick15

Quote from: rongtw
Hi Slick15 , Sorry but there is NO 10 days wait for fibre !!
I dont know who said this but they wrong  Sad

Actually it is stated on the "Welcome to PlusNet" letter under Broadband speed: "It is normal for your speed to vary within the first 10 days whilst we get optimum performance from your line."
However this wouldn't affect the fact that I have high speeds on 2 devices and low on my pc.
Slick15

Quote from: bales1983
Not to get too technical here im waiting for my fibre installation and think I may also find a speed drop from my PC, it may well be the USB adapter as although Wifi N 150mbps states you are connected at 150mps that is just the link speed the actual data throughput is much lower but id still expect it to top out at about 30mbps. If possible you could run an ethernet lead to the router to test its not the PC at fault. Alternatively consider powerline adapters or a new USB adapter with WIFI AC speeds, even better if your sockets are USB 3.0, they ate usually blue sockets Smiley

Thanks. We will try connecting to the modem via cable and see if it makes a difference and then report back.
tonycollinet
Grafter

Also worth checking what type of USB port you have the adapter plugged into. If it is 1.x, then the usb speed will be limiting the throughput.