Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

17dB SNR - room for more speed?

FIXED
Scottland
Dabbler

17dB SNR - room for more speed?

Hi,

My line has been 'stable' with the details in the screenshot below, previous to moving to Plusnet I used to get ~60meg down.

9xRepEr

Initially when I moved over my SNR was ~6dB with 50meg, but this has since recovered to show a SNR downsteam as the above screenshot. Does this mean there should be some room to squeeze more speed out of it?

Device uptime is currently 52days which I assume accounts for the high HEC errors upsteam?

5 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 116

Re: 17dB SNR - room for more speed?

Hey there. Have you tried a reboot of your router to see if it resyncs at a higher level?

From when I joined the Plusnet Help Team in May 2017 my main Community account is @Gandalf.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Staff
Scottland
Dabbler

Not in 52 days as you can see from the uptime Smiley But when I replaced the modem cable I left it settle for a couple of days and then rebooted it to see if it would (which it didn't). I'll reboot it again shortly to see if it does.

Scottland
Dabbler

Just tried rebooting now, same speed again with 17db margin.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Fix

Have you tried checking the stats using telnet or a program such as DSLStats?

I think the 4 billion upstream HEC count is a bug, the line attenuation and output power figures being identical is probably another bug, so I'm not sure the SNR margin figure given is correct.

Scottland
Dabbler

Just thought I'd update this - it was a bug in the software. I have since replaced the OR modem with a TP Link one and it seems much better. Although I think my line may be on some sort of capped profile as the sync speed hasn't budged from 49000 for a couple of months even with an SNR or 8.7 (modem reports 58meg attainable rate).