cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10mbps speed drop since end July, Anything kicked off in my area?

FIXED
lorisarvendu
Grafter

10mbps speed drop since end July, Anything kicked off in my area?

Speed has been relatively consistent at about 56mbps up to about 29th July.  Then, blam down to an even more consistent flatline at 44Mbps, where it has been ever since.  Wifi not used.  Whole house CAT5.  Plus net Current Line Speed 47mbps.  Should I raise a call?  The PC doing the test is plugged into the router.

A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
23 REPLIES 23
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: 10mbps speed drop since end July, Anything kicked off in my area?

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 48.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Profile Name 0.128M-74M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

Your line is synced below the estimate, so yes I'd advise reporting a fault at https://faults.plus.net

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Fault raised.  Recording results for my future reference:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 43.43 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-47.38 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 47.38 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 14.98Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

A tortoise? What's that?
lorisarvendu
Grafter

OK. BT Engineer has been and gone.  He couldn't make sense of it, and neither can I.

He started by plugging his own kit into the VDSL socket and got a speed of about 63mpbs.  He then checked my OpenReach fibre modem and said it was reporting an R/F error, so that sounded promising. At this point I remembered that I have a brand-new Plusnet Hub One (with integral fibre modem), so we brought that out and wired it in, replacing both my OR modem and my TP-Link router in one fell swoop.

However after configuring the Plusnet Hub and getting connected with my PN account  we ran a speed test, both from the laptop next to the socket, and from other PCs on the LAN.  We still get round about 45mbps.

So the lowdown appears to be this.  We have eliminated both my old fibre modem, and my TPLink Router, so the fault can't be with them.  All speed tests were conducted while connected to ethernet, wireless was not involved, so it wasn't that.  It isn't my cabling because I get throughput of about 700Mbps on all my Gigabit devices.  And the engineer gets 63mbps when he connects.

Because he could find no fault with the BT side, and I had replaced all my equipment, there was nothing more he could do, and so he left.

Any suggestions anyone?  Anything else that could cause this?

EDIT: Latest BTW results:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 44.15 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 40 Mbps-62.47 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 62.47 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 16.12Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

A tortoise? What's that?
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi what does your Plusnet Speed profile say it should be pretty much the same as the BTW IP profile if it's not then it would be the reason for the less speed. 

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

if it's lower than it should be a quick call to support or live chat and they should be able to adjust it for you.

lorisarvendu
Grafter

"Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
47.2 Mb"

So does that mean I don't have a Plusnet speed profile?

A tortoise? What's that?
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@lorisarvendu

The Plusnet line speed is acting as a limit and stopping you from getting a higher speed. You need to get onto Plusnet and get it raised to be closer to the BTW IP Profile of 62Mbps

edit: to correct spelling

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Fix

@lorisarvendu I've just updated that for you.

If you log into the router and disconnect then reconnect you should get higher speeds.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Pronto

I have the same issue, was getting 30/2.5 now I'm getting 24/1. When I check my profile it says 'there is. O speed estimate currently on your account'. 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@Pronto Our tests aren't showing any issues so I'd recommend raising a fault at https://faults.plus.net

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Thanks. That works.  58mbps down, 18mbps up.  So what happened?  From the evidence of the engineer's visit (and bearing in mind I have diagnostic skills but little knowledge of broadband networking) I'm going to guess something along these lines:

The OR modem had a fault (possibly growing over the last few months) which caused PN's network to detect errors and drop the speed profile.  When the BT guy plugged into the socket he connected to the BT network (using his BT authentication) and therefore got the BT speed profile, which was higher.  Even with a new modem and router I was still getting the old 48mbps speed because the PN profile is effectively a glass ceiling.  Matthew just lifted the glass ceiling.

Am I anywhere near the truth?

EDIT: I'm guessing if I had been a BT customer the faulty modem would have reset the BT profile to low, and the engineer would have been able to fix it, but because the low profile was on PN's network he couldn't do anything. 

A tortoise? What's that?
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hey there. I'm not in the office so I can't see your account, however from Chris' post before the engineer appointment, your openreach modem was in sync at 48.9 Mbps which wouldn't be caused by anything with our network. Our connection profile essentially matches the sync rate and caps your throughput (or download speed).

When you changed the openreach modem for the hub one, the sync rate increased but our profile just needed a nudge  to match the new sync. We usually receive delta report speed updates from suppliers every few days to automatically adjust the connection profile, so the system should have corrected this had Matt not manually done so.

So, you're partially right in the sense that our connection profile is essentially a cap.

But I hope this clarifies things Smiley

[Edit]

If you were a BT retail customer, If they have the same sort of profile that we do then I wouldn't think the Openreach engineer would be able to reset it as BT retail are a separate company from Openreach so the engineer shouldn't have access to their systems. (This edit is speculation, though)

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
lorisarvendu
Grafter

As an aside this raised an interesting point that other posters should be aware of. I assume that the decision to no longer supply separate OR modems was BT's.  Whatever the reason, if your existing modem fails, the only replacement is now a combined router and modem.  Which means if you have your own router, you can no longer use it.

I guess the alternative is to try and source another separate modem, if you have an expensive router that you want to keep, though I don't know if separate modems are sold anymore. Unless you disable the router/modem's DHCP and piggy-back your old router back in.

EDIT: Unless the Plusnet One can be turned into modem-only mode.  Does anyone know if it's possible?

A tortoise? What's that?
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Aaaand we're back down to the 40's again.  Any Plusnet reps around that can explain to me why this is happening to me?  Meanwhile I guess I'll open another fault call.

Download speed achieved during the test was - 46.1 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 40 Mbps-65.53 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 65.53 Mbps

A tortoise? What's that?
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@lorisarvendu

If you look at https://community.plus.net/t5/forums/usersonlinepage you can see if any staff are logged in. As it's Sunday, I would doubt it as this forum is looked after by the same people on the Twitter and Facebook (plus a few others) and those feeds have limited hours of cover.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT