cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100% outgoing packet loss

asnuggets
Dabbler

100% outgoing packet loss

Hey. As of the past few days I've been getting packet loss where I can hear other people in voice comms but not speak (for 5 seconds maybe every 2 minutes sometimes). It's the same in games across several platforms where I can see other people moving as if nothing is wrong but I myself can't move.

Is it possible to check everything is okay on my line please?

Haven't had any issues before even when having LAN parties with everybody downloading their entire Steam library, streaming to Twitch, watching high quality movies, etc etc. The line has always been stable until now.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: 100% outgoing packet loss

Hi there.

Sorry to see you're seeing packet loss, I've tested your line and everything looks spot on with the broadband signal going into your router. Looks like your router is getting a speed of around 62mbps with no drops over the past 13 days.

Is your computer/laptop plugged directly into the router using an ethernet cable or running off WiFi or powerline adapters? It may also be worth rebooting your router and seeing if that clears the problem.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
asnuggets
Dabbler

Ethernet. Will reset the router and report back. Cheers for hasty reply.

Is it worth noting the router is quite old as I've moved house many times and kept the same one over the years, it's a Plusnet Hub One. I only mention it because I've suddenly also been having problems connecting on some devices to the WiFi. It gets stuck on 'connecting' on the phone and the router logs get stuck on 'associating client'. Some devices worked, some didn't. All IPs on the network are auto-assigned, shouldn't be any conflicts. And the WiFi channel is auto so I guess that isn't a problem either. Resetting the router fixes this.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Cheers for getting back to us.

It's possible the router may be faulty and we'd be happy to send a replacement if it comes to that, although it's probably worth doing a little more troubleshooting first. Let us know how it goes once you've rebooted the router. 

With regards to your wireless devices not connecting, can you try changing the wireless channel in case the router has chosen a channel that's congested/in use by other networks nearby. I'd also recommend trying the steps here: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Devices-stop-working-on-5-GHz-connection-Wifi-drops/m-p/1395... if you haven't already.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
asnuggets
Dabbler

Haven't had issues with packet loss since restarting.

I don't know how large of a problem flags needing a new router but just now my wired connection couldn't even get to 192.168.1.254 but my housemate could on his wired connection. This has happened before and just disabling/re-enabling my LAN adapter fixes it. All the IP address assigning in the house is on automatic on Windows and the router. Just another weird behaviour that happens sometimes like the strange wireless behaviour.

This might sound like BS but when I created the thread and had packet loss, aparantly my housemate wasn't getting any. I'd assumed he did but I asked and he was playing the same game I was (seperate from me) and nothing was wrong.

Thanks again.

asnuggets
Dabbler

Have been getting terrible WiFi speeds sometimes (0.03Mbps), even with 80% signal strength only one room away from the router. Last night I ran the Google speed test and it peaked at 1Mbps (as I pressed start test) and rapidly moved down to 0.03Mbps and stayed there. This was for about an hour when speeds then went back to normal (7.5Mbps constant). I didn't restart the router or change anything.

When this happened a few days ago I tried using an app to check other area's router channels and have settled on channel 1 as nobody else is anywhere near it, but the speed still remained the same. It just eventually went back to normal speeds like last night after an amount of time.

Phone was fully charged and on charge also.

Do you think we could get a new router?

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hi @asnuggets and welcome to the fourms,

It's interesting that you're getting the problem and your housemate isn't when I assume you're both connected to the same router? Is that correct? That would rule out your old router being the problem if that were the case.

PlusNet will ask you to connect the router to the master socket. Worth trying a 17070 option 2 quiet line test to make sure there is no interference on your line.

I would rule a couple of things out, such as swapping your Ethernet cable socket with your housemates and see if it makes any difference. It sounds possible your router may be faulty now. 

asnuggets
Dabbler

Thanks for assisting but as said in previous reply haven't had packet loss since posting a week ago. It isn't common enough for me to tear my hair out at but when it occurs it is tragic.

I simply meant to bump this thread with a new comment regarding strange wireless issues. When my phone was recording speeds of 0.03Mbps, I jumped on the PC and the wired speed was as normal (60Mbps). My signal strength on the phone was almost 100%. No other routers on any nearby channels. YouTube thumbnails wouldn't load. Confirmed with housemate he wasn't utilising connection at the time (was asleep).

Thanks again.
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hi there @asnuggets,

Sorry to read you are having trouble with the WiFi. Have you tried changing the router channels since you changed to channel1? If not it may be worth checking out the app again and seeing which channels are better in your area. Did you also manage to split the frequencies?

Thanks.