cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 meg loss,DLM not bringing it back.

anytbut
Grafter

10 meg loss,DLM not bringing it back.

Back on the 19th after doing a speed test and finding i`d gone from my 74d/18u speeds (Since install) to 63d/14u i had a online chat with PN. After chatting  to a CS rep,he saw i had a few disconnects within a few hours and that i should give it time and let DLM kick it back after a week or so. Gave it 8 days without a improvement and called up to be told more or less that`s my speed to live by now.
Now,granted it`s not a slow speed to have,it`s just not being told why the loss didn`t improve,unless there`s a reason aside from the disconnects 2 weeks back and/or if i`ll get the missing speed back?
Any chance of someone having a look-see please? Ta.
17 REPLIES 17
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: 10 meg loss,DLM not bringing it back.

DLM hasn't brought your speeds down as your profile is "0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Retransmission Low"
There's a good chance your sync speeds have dropped due to crosstalk which is interference that builds up in the cabinet as more and more people swap onto FTTC.
Unfortunately there isn't anything we can do about this I'm afraid as we can't raise this to our suppliers unless the speeds drop below 25% of the original estimate.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
anytbut
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Matthew, as i said it was more of knowing why it happened rather than a overriding necessity to have it back tho i half guessed it may have been as you said with more people lumping on FTTC.
Cheers for passing on the into anyways. Smiley
iainmacmillan
Grafter

Quote from: anything
Back on the 19th after doing a speed test and finding i`d gone from my 74d/18u speeds (Since install) to 63d/14u i had a online chat with PN. After chatting  to a CS rep,he saw i had a few disconnects within a few hours and that i should give it time and let DLM kick it back after a week or so.

i fear this is the same for me, i was first on my area to get connected to FTTC, and had same speeds - 74 down and 18 up, in the last month i'm barely getting 60 down, but upload is almost the same.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Quote from: Matthew
DLM hasn't brought your speeds down as your profile is "0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Retransmission Low"
There's a good chance your sync speeds have dropped due to crosstalk which is interference that builds up in the cabinet as more and more people swap onto FTTC.
Unfortunately there isn't anything we can do about this I'm afraid as we can't raise this to our suppliers unless the speeds drop below 25% of the original estimate.

How do u can tell if crosstalk is affected? Does it showing crosstalk affected on the FTTC GEA TEST? We need a real proof of crosstalk issues!
avatastic
Grafter

Is that the estimate at the time of ordering, or the estimates that show on the BT checker at the time of fault reporting.
I'm asking for clarification as the BT checker estimates do change and I'm not aware that the original estimates are recorded anywhere.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
mlmclaren
Grafter

Isn't G.INP (Retranmission) supposed to combat this cross talk issue and also cross talk reduces a connection a by a meg or 2 maybe... not 10!
anytbut
Grafter

Another question, if due to crosstalk i`m now on a reduced speed ,why does this not reflect in checks on BT and Samknows?
Also,why the sudden 10 meg drop and not a gradual 1-2 meg as more user get connected to FTTC at my cab?
ericgripp
Grafter

a straight 10 meg loss is a result of a banded profile when g.inp is active but you have incompatible modem/router equipment. As a result of this banded profile you go onto extreme interleaving which reduces the speed.
Answer is if you are using an ECI modem on a Huawei cabinet, then you will need a compatible modem either a HG612 on the latets firmware or a modem/router combo that works with g.inp
See this link here (ECI modem issue 2)
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15283.msg284199.html#msg284199
Also we have a major thread with over 19000 views discussing the problem, and the fact you have dropped a straight 10meg throughput (im guessing your sync is actually about 69) tells me you are suffering the issue with incompatible kit on the line. Bear in mind once you do get a compatible modem the speed will either come back straight away or can take 48-72 hours to kick in properly.
Also please don't take this the wrong way but why are plusnet staff still failing to recognise the issue ?  Undecided its got sweet FA to do with crosstalk !!!
anytbut
Grafter

So i take it it happened "suddenly" due to a change in equipment spec at the cab causing a possible mis-match with my router?
Was totally fine up till the 19th tho (TP link TD-W8968 bty).
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: ericgripp
a straight 10 meg loss is a result of a banded profile when g.inp is active but you have incompatible modem/router equipment.

You cannot make this assumption every time someone loses speed. The profile is not banded.
@ anything but - What make of Openreach modem are you using?
ericgripp
Grafter

It was a play on words, ok if were going to cross the I and dot the t then its a loss of speed due to high interleaving which is applied when the modem is unable to switch to g.inp (retransmission) correctly.
Come off it Andy im not going to get into this discussion with you again, but as anything but says, if everything was fine on the 19th and then all of a sudden you are down 10 meg, you don't lose that much so soon due to crosstalk. And of course because its not a 25% loss the isp will do naff all to help.
Op needs to state what modem they are using and if they are connected to an ECI or HUAWEI cabinet
See here
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm#fttc_street_cabinet
AndyH
Grafter

Interleaving does not cause a loss of speed.
It's wrong to tell someone that their speed loss is down to G.INP and being on ECI kit when you don't know this is the case. The timing certainly does not support this being a G.INP issue.
anytbut
Grafter

Said openreach box.
And it's a TP Link TD-W8968.
....will take a quick walk to the cab and take a pic.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

ECI modem and Huawei 288 cab 😕