Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 Day Fluctuation - Is there a fault ?

FIXED
Csutty987
Hooked

10 Day Fluctuation - Is there a fault ?

I got my Fibre Unlimited 38Mbp/s package activated yesterday, with a given estimate of 22-30. 

I heard that the 10 day fluctuation is due to Plusnet testing different speeds and connections to find one that best suits your line. 

If that is true, I would imagine a fluctuation around 15-25 roughly.

However the best I have gotten so far is 3Mbp/s.

Speedtests tell me I should be getting 23-26Mb but whenever I actually download something the best I get is 3Mb which I honestly find terrible. I have used multiple programs and checked just about all settings on my computer/programs to no avail. Is this normal to get a massive 15Mb lower than the minimum guarantee for the first ten days or is there actually a fault here?

I have tested everything via ethernet cable on the same computer. 

From Plusnet themselves :

Estimated line speed:30Mb (This may vary between 22.4Mb and 30.8Mb) - Checked on 2017-06-14 21:00:51

Current line speed:37 Mb

7 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: 10 Day Fluctuation - Is there a fault ?

Hi , there is No 10 day fluctuation  , and PN does not test your line .

what happens is  the DLM    "dynamic line Management"  a automatic system checks your line and will find what it thinks is best for your line in the first 48 Hours Thumbs Up

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Csutty987
Hooked

Thanks for the insight. I was given the ten day thing by Plusnet - to give the new internet 10 days to 'settle in' was roughly the quote I think. I can handle waiting another 24 hours to see if it improves before asking further. I am still concerned though, I feel like 3Mb out of 22-30 is more than just this DLM testing what is best for my line. This is the first time I've actually had decent internet so I'm a little inexperienced with what to expect though.

Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 36

As Ron says, there is no 10 day period.

I've been meaning to find BT's definition of DLM for a while so here it is from the horses mouth so to speak

2.2.1 Dynamic Line Management

Dynamic Line Management (DLM) is employed in GEA-FTTC. DLM constantly manages lines to maintain a target link quality (speed and stability). It does this for as long as the product exists.

At provision, the line is put on “wide open” VDSL2 line profiles allowing the upstream and downstream line speeds to run at the upper limit of the product option selected.  

On the first day of operation, DLM will intervene if severe instability is detected. Otherwise, DLM will wait until the day after provision before deciding if it must intervene, provided that the line has been trained up for at least 15 minutes during the preceding day.

If DLM intervenes it will set a profile with a maximum rate and a minimum rate, where the minimum rate is set at approximately half of the maximum rate. The purpose of the minimum rate is to ensure that the line does not train at a rate which is significantly below the level the line should be able to achieve. If this happened, then the line is likely to remain at a very low rate until a re-train is forced by the user by powering off the modem.  

Note : It is the DLM system that sets the line profile, and this should not be interfered with by CPs/users setting rates, SNR margins etc. at the modem.  

Note : The upstream throughput is also constrained on the DSLAM to the upstream rate requested in the order, i.e. 2 Mbit/s, 10 Mbit/s or 20 Mbit/s, so even if the VDSL2 upstream line speed is higher, the upstream throughput is constrained to the level ordered for the product.

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Tags (1)
dvigelis
Dabbler

Dont you mix Megabites with megabits? Your estimate 25MBits is 3 Megabites. Dont you expets to get 25Megabites a secont download speed?
Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 36

Fix

Good point @dvigelis.

@Csutty987 how are you measuring your download speeds? Steam and other download sites tend display MB/s whereas speeds are normally Mb/s.

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Csutty987
Hooked

Ah. It appears I am at fault Crazy The difference between MB and Mb in my question was mere coincidence, yet that is what is confusing me. Before this I had not even noticed the capitalised B on programs (particularly Steam, Battle.net and Origin), as opposed to the speed internet packages give. Thanks for the help guys, but it appears I am just stupidHuh

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 233

It's easily done Smiley

Welcome to the community forums by the way.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team