cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1.05mbps on fibre

seamillcottage
Dabbler

1.05mbps on fibre

This is the speed we are getting. It is normally about 1.9, and has even been up to 4.5 for a couple of weeks but it's now back to 1.05 today, This is totally unacceptable, and unless BT can sort it out I don;t think we'll be renewing our contract. Can't stream at this slow speed anyway so there's not much point in paying for fibre.

We have reported it time and time again - an engineer comes out, it improves for a very short time and then drops back again. Does anyone else have the same problem? 

25 REPLIES 25
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: 1.05mbps on fibre

Welcome to the community forums @seamillcottage

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing speed problems

Our tests aren't finding the cause of why your speeds are below expected, but it's possible that it's due to the length of your line at almost 3 miles long. As the speeds are below your estimates, I'd recommend raising a broadband fault to us at http://faults.plus.net so we can arrange another engineer visit to further investigate.

By the way, are you aware that fibre to the property (FTTP) is available for your line?

If you're interested, I'd head on over to trials.plus.net to sign up.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@seamillcottage 

If FTTP is available for your property I'd thoroughly recommend you sign up - it's the only way you'll get faster speeds. Also, if you don't need it you can then cancel your phone line and save some money!!!

Although I trust the info given by Gandalf if you put your phone number in the following it'll not only confirm "WBC FTTP" as available it should give a couple of other bits of info. One is it'll state if the FTTP installation is "1 stage" or "2 stage" (one visit or two). The other is in the first line of narrative below the results where it'll say something about your "feed" (phone line access).

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Brian

seamillcottage
Dabbler

Thanks. I have already raised a fault again, so that's in hand. I hadn't heard of FTTP before, Can you explain how that works, and does it cost extra? (I'm not very literate on these things) Our line rental has just been paid for a further 12 months, and out=r current fibre contract does;t expire until April, so would we not have to finish the contract before changing if we do decide on FTTP? 

seamillcottage
Dabbler

Thanks. I don't quite understand this though 

if you don't need it you can then cancel your phone line and save some money!!! 

Surely we need he phone line anyway? Sorry if I'm being stupid! 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Surely we need he phone line anyway?

Not if you've got fibre straight to your property, as FTTP doesn't run on a copper phone line. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
seamillcottage
Dabbler

Thanks. This sounds interesting. But will the phone still work in exactly the same way? 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Can you explain how that works, and does it cost extra? (I'm not very literate on these things) Our line rental has just been paid for a further 12 months,

I'll raise a ticket on your account with more info about pricing.

and out=r current fibre contract does;t expire until April, so would we not have to finish the contract before changing if we do decide on FTTP? 

Nope, we can upgrade you to FTTP keeping your contract as it is.

More info can be found here and here.

But will the phone still work in exactly the same way? 

If you're wanting to keep your phone service, yeah it'll work in the same way.

Having FTTP won't affect it.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero

@seamillcottage

Instead of using your phone line to supply your internet service a fibre optic cable is run to your house. Once there it needs to be brought inside and then connected to an Optical Network Terminator (ONT) which is fixed to a wall near a power source. Your router is then plugged into the ONT. Once FTTP is up and running your phone line reverts to its original purpose - being a phone line.

The FTTP trial is based on the PlusNet FTTC options so you can have 38 down / 10 up or 78 down / 20 up.

Brian

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Hi @seamillcottage

You could ditch the phone line altogether and have a VOIP phone that runs over the FTTP Internet connection. I have one that works fine (better even) than standard phone and my Fibre connection only runs at 11Mbs. Much cheaper call charges for you and also no line rental for you either. You may have to have a new phone number but you can usually keep your area code.

As others have said,  if you put your phone number into http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome then as long as the FTTP result in the checker  DOES NOT say "FIBRE ON DEMAND" then you are able to receive a FTTP servce. If it does say FIBRE ON DEMAND this is usually a commercial service and  the cost can run into thousands.

Good luck

seamillcottage
Dabbler

Problem with that is we get an incredible number of spam callers, and so I have a TrueCall call screener, which screens them out. I don't think it would work unless it's actually connected to the phone. I'll certainly try to find out though. If you use VOIP can calls still be connected through a standard phone handset? (my husband really struggles with anything which changes!) 

runhare
Aspiring Pro

There are plenty of VOIP handsets out there. They look pretty normal to me!

Though  many are designed for the business market, this is changing because in the future all phone calls will be routed via VOIP as the standard phone service is retired and Fibre only connections become the norm ( in about 20 years I suspect!)

Alternatively there are some plug in devices which handle the Digital / Analogue conversion and you can conenct a standard handset  to them .

You may be lucky and be able to keep your old phone number or you may not and would be alocated a new one.

https://www.onedirect.co.uk/grandstream/grandstream-dp720-dect-wireless-handset?fee=7&fep=108505&gcl...

bmc
Hero

@seamillcottage

There are two separate conversations / questions here - internet and phone.

First is do you want a faster internet connection? I believe Gandalf has already supplied pricing but you would be £14.99 for the 38/10 product with no installation costs. This is what I have and I get over 36 down consistently (distance doesn't matter).

The second question is do you need a phone line - I gave mine up and use a mobile instead. If you do then there's no change involved and nothing to do unless you want to use a VOIP provider to reduce costs. I believe you can "port" your existing number to them. However as you've just re-contracted on an annual basis there's nothing to do until nearer the end of your contract. You've paid for the service so you might as well use it (cancellation charges, VOIP charges and the £2.50 broadband only supplement will be close to what you already pay). The two links below show one VOIP provider and how it works. Note the guide is from an independent ISP so where it speaks of the B4RN box you would be using your router.

https://b4rn.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/VOIPing-your-home-6.pdf

https://www.vonage.co.uk/home/

Note - I'm not recommending them as I have no experience of VOIP. It's simply I knew the guide existed.

If you do not need a home phone line and are happy to use mobiles instead then you can consider cancelling the line - either as soon as you have FTTP or near the end of your line contract.

Brian

seamillcottage
Dabbler

Thanks Brian. All helpful stuff. Unfortunately we get no mobile signal, so can't use mobiles at home, so that's not an option, but I'll certainly looking into porting number to VOIP option. I have plenty of time anyway, as the line rental has been paid fairly recently for a year anyway. I just need to check whether our TrueCall unit is compatible with VOIP as well. 

runhare
Aspiring Pro

Hi

if true call relies on number recognition then it should work.   VOIP services have number recognition but then I can also activate a whole host of features for free anyway that will block any number I wish!