cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where can I change ns1, ns2 and ns3

portfolio
Dabbler

where can I change ns1, ns2 and ns3

Fed up with plus.net's bullying abuser messages I wish to relocate one of my websites .  The recipient host does not have an ISPTAG for co.uk domains but advises simply to change the ns1,2 and 3 fields.  Plus.net seem to have hidden these deep in the grumbling bowels.  I have spent an hour searching which is quite long enough thank you and need the website visible - I intend a belt and braces operation with the same content under two names and with two hosts - that way searchers using intelligent search terms will find my work at one or the other.
20 REPLIES 20
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: where can I change ns1, ns2 and ns3

If a domain is hosted with Plusnet you can't change the name servers.
Your best bet would be to move the hosting completely which means also moving email for the domain.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
portfolio
Dabbler

Quite happy to move the hosting of this particular co.uk domain - any email that goes with it is redundant.  I have a default domain at plus.net  - that email is heavily used.  TRouble is - how to transfer out without the IPSTAG which as I say the new host does not have for co.uk domains.  All IPSTAG offer by way of transfer out is IPSTAG
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Who is the registrar for the domain?
portfolio
Dabbler

Seems to be plus.net    Domain is Due to expire in March but I want to retain it.  As Plus.net charge ~ £50+- for renewal I'd like to avoid that too.  Cost a lot less to obtain originally. 
jelv
Seasoned Hero

In that case you need to find someone to move the registration to, and who will be more helpful than your new host.
portfolio
Dabbler

happy enough to move out.  Two weeks ago the thought had not crossed my mind.  having a website closed down abruptly and very rudely concentrates the mind somewhat.  My problem is how to transfer out given Plus.net offers only the option of supplying the new ISPTAG which my prospective host has not got.  A lot of Plus.net "help" seems to be a closed loop which leaves one feeling like a demented hamster after an hour.  Fair dos Microsoft is the same.  They real;ly have to test these "help" systems on fools like me who don't know the answer before they begin - the guy who writes the info - he already knows the answer so he can't see the problem.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

A hosting provider is not the same as a registrar. Is you new hist on this list? If so the first column is the tag you need.
If they are not on the list you will need to find a registrar who will look after the registration and you can then have them act as name servers as well. You could also ask them to point to the name servers for your new host.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi portfolio,
As I posted on your other thread, if you remove the 290MB .pub file from your htdocs folder we'll stop archiving the website as you won't be using more than the 250MB limit Smiley
portfolio
Dabbler

That explains a lot - I have no idea why that would be there..  Wouldn't it be nice to be advised/warned of a problem rather than cut off abruptly and insulted in the one swift customer friendly move ?  After all when the site is inaccessible I can hardly do much to sort it out ?????    I'll attempt removal now that I know what the problem is - some folders I don't have the right to remove it keeps telling me.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Quote from: portfolio
My problem is how to transfer out given Plus.net offers only the option of supplying the new ISPTAG which my prospective host has not got.

To host any domain that nominet control (basically all .uk domains - there are a few exceptions) whoever hosts it needs to have a tag. If your new registrar doesn't give you their tag to give to us it's simply not possible to transfer the domain. See the question What is my registrar's tag name? at the link below:
http://www.nic.uk/registrants/maintain/changeregistrar/faq/#7
Apologies if our support had not made this clear to you.
portfolio
Dabbler

That's a pity - I have a second .com  website and dozens of photo galleries with an American host - didn't know they couldn't host .co.uk domains.  Need to rethink the strategy as having the plus.net site off air looks downright amateur. Thanks for the help .
jelv
Seasoned Hero

There's any number of registrars who would handle the registration only and allow the domain to stay hosted where it is.
portfolio
Dabbler

The whole point being that I am unhappy with the host's  recent behaviour and would be happier with a (fallback) website elsewhere shuld there be a recurrence.  As I alraedy have another host with gadoogles of storage space that seemed the obvious move.  I hadn't thought throught the co.uk bit though.
abdou
Dabbler

I have decided that the abrupt way that my site gets removed when a spike in usage which takes it over the bandwidth limit is too much.  So I am transferring out my domain and taking my site to another host with a more generous limit. I have clicked on the TRANSFER OUT button and typed in the IPSTAG (PDR-IN) . I have received an email from PDR which gives me a security key which they say I have to give to my ISP to complete the transfer of the domain to them.
My question is. who do I give this security key to?
I have raised a ticket for this but so far no reply. Just thought someone on here might be able to help.
At the moment anyone visiting my site www.carterusm.co.uk gets nowhere and I need to make a mission critical announcement on Monday, so this is becoming quite urgent.
les x