cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

website 'hacked' using key words

samgregkt
Grafter

website 'hacked' using key words

I viewed my website today on a net book using Windows7 OS & lots of keywords linking my site to another site have appeared. I've viewed my site again on a Vista OS & Xp, and the links arn't there. Is this something that happens in Windows7 and how can I block the links. The links go to an address linking to various sites all seeming to be associated to 'i.trkjmp.com'. I couldn't access my site & the address read 'res//ieframe.dllacr_error.htm#' . Is there something that I can do to my website to stop this happening or will PN block this for me if I raise a ticket. 
12 REPLIES 12
prichardson
Grafter

Re: website 'hacked' using key words

What you describe sounds more like your machine may have some form of malware/virus than there is anything wrong with your site, which is injecting content into the page it is displaying to you.
Are you using Internet Explorer on both machines?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Hi Mike. Your site seems OK to me, nothing odd in its source code.
I think your netbook must have collected that tracker virus and I believe it will require some manual editing and deletion of files and registry entries to remove it. I suggest not allowing your netbook to connect to the Internet, the virus logs keystrokes and phones them home. Look up removal instructions on your desktop PC.
Regards, David
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you've used the netbook to use online banking or similar you might have a BIG problem!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
samgregkt
Grafter

Thanks all, you've saved me again from a bit of a mess. I've  got rid of all the creepy crawlies and everythings now OK.
Well done & many thanks.
Best regards, Mick
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Glad you managed to get rid of the pest. Smiley
Regards, David
David
samgregkt
Grafter

Hi David, perhaps you can help me with another problem on my website. If I view my site on an iPad, iPhone or an Android phone I & others can't see the hover (navagational) buttons linking the pages together. Is it because the devices used don't have Java or Adobe reader installed or is there something I need to do at my end to make the buttons viewable. Remember to keep the language simple. Best regards, Mick. 
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can you post a link to your website
Gabe
Grafter

Assuming it's the paternosterlodge site, the invisible menu uses a Java applet, which is bad news for so many reasons. Probably better off with a css menu, of which there are many examples on the web, like this.
Gabe
kmilburn
Grafter

The nature of the problem will depend on how the page is written, but touchscreen devices will not execute any hover related actions because there is no cursor to hover.
Using Java and/or Flash will also be problematic, as they are not supported either..    (technically Flash was supported on android, but it's no longer available)
For the best results,  you'll need to update the site to make it friendly for mobiles, tablets and computers.  This can either be done with different sites, or using CSS with appropriate media queries.
kmilburn
Grafter

Quote from: Gabe
Assuming it's the paternosterlodge site, the invisible menu uses a Java applet, which is bad news for so many reasons

Probably,  which also indicates the soure of the trouble;  Microsoft Frontpage!
My browser isn't keen on them either,  thanks to noscript Smiley
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Hi Mick. As others have said the problem is that the hover buttons are Java applets, somewhat difficult to implement on devices that are based on touch screens. Others have suggested using CSS; I know that is somewhat beyond your skills but I think even CSS with hover needs a fudge on touch screen devices.
Perhaps you need to think seriously about devices you want to support and consider some compromises. Continuing with Frontpage as layout editor may also become increasingly troublesome.
Regards, David
David
samgregkt
Grafter

Hi David, thanks for understanding my level of skills. I will eventually rebuild the site using a different editor,  however lack of time is my biggest problem. As a bit of a fudge I've deleted all of the Java applets & put links in there places. It's not perfect but it works. If you have a better short term solution please let me know. As always, be gentle with me.
Best regards, Mick