cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

website archived

samgregkt
Grafter

website archived

I had my website removed as PN claim that I've exceeded my bandwidth allowance (71595 KB OVER its bandwidth transfer allowance during the last 24 hours).
I'm rather confused as it's a very simple information site & nothing has changed on my site for over 2 months.
I've asked PN to reinstate my site but I really don't know how to prevent the same thing happening in the future.
I've looked at my webstats & nothing looks unusual. I've only used 29Gb of my 60Gb. 
Best regards, Mick.
3 REPLIES 3
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: website archived

I'll reinstate your site now, it'll take a few minutes to reappear.
've looked at my webstats & nothing looks unusual. I've only used 29Gb of my 60Gb. 

That's your broadband allowance, not the webspace allowance. Your webspace allowance is 250MB storage and 250MB daily transfer.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
samgregkt
Grafter

Hi Chris & thanks for reinstating my website. How can I control the daily transfer of 250Mb., surely this depends on how many people view the site
Best regards, Mick.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Hi Mick,
Daily usage of website bandwidth does indeed depend on the number of visitors to your site, and on what they view whilst there. 71595 KB over the 250 MB daily limit is an excess of over 25%, so a significant amount.
I suspect what you referred to as "webstats" in your opening post might actually be VMBU (View My Broadband Usage) which is not what you need here.
The "webstats" you need are those accessed by logging into the Member Centre and clicking Website settings on the left-hand menu. Clicking the Advanced Webstats icon on that page should take you to a page which shows whether webstats are actually active for your site(s). If they are not you need to click the "activate" button to turn them on - then wait until next day for the first stats to become available.
Limited guidance on using these stats is given in the lower part of that page and in help pages.
High bandwidth usage often results from having large image files on the site, and other websites hot-linking to them. Google will give you some clues to what that means. The basic webstats would not show that problem because they only analyse "page" views (html pages). To detect image traffic problems you would need to obtain the raw log files - follow the link in the lower part of the page for guidance on requesting those (a ticket needs to be raised). A cursory look at the files might be sufficient but more detailed analysis is down to you.
Regards
David
David