cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

want to use webspace ...

laura
Grafter

want to use webspace ...

hi, I want to set up a one or two page site for family/friends to access, and as PN provide webspace it would be nice to be able to make use of it.  I have no knowledge of scripting, and have researched software that does everything for you via templates.  Would anyone know if I would be able to upload to PlusNet webspace if I use such software, or is PN webspace only for users who can use php etc?  I have already asked a question of PlusNet who pointed me in the direction of their webspace/setup site, but admittedly I have not looked at this yet - I decided to ask my above question here first cos if I can't do it that way I can't do it! Thanks in advance for any advice on this matter. 
8 REPLIES 8
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: want to use webspace ...

You can load very simple web site with no trouble, will send you a PM with mine
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

The web software that PlusNet mention in their guides is Nvu, which you can down load for free from:-
http://nvudev.com/index.php
Simple to use and you can upload from the program directly to your webspace - no need for any knowledge of code.
Cliff
Denzil
Grafter

Even better, use <a href="http://www.kompozer.net/">Kompozer</a>, which is based on NVU, but with bugs fixed. Also free to download. It is fairly simple to use and even deals with the uploading and editing the site afterwards.
laura
Grafter

Pierre_Pierre, got your pm and will have a looksee - don't worry, won't pass on addy!
Whiffler/Denzil, will certainly look at your recommendations - I love free stuff!
Prod_Man
Grafter

If you love free stuff,
To get stuck in with PHP on the PlusNet setup, you'll require a few tools to make your life easier.
Some might disagree with me here but this is just what I suggest.
Grab yourself some free utilities which will be useful - I assume you're running Windows here.
WinSCP - Best FTP and SFTP Client ever
PuTTY - OK I lied, you need PuTTY for WinSCP to be as useful as possible!
You can then take development of your website a number of ways,
but I think you're after a solution that has it either in a pre-made package or can be done with minimal extra changes.
I would say a Content Management System is your best bet if you want something easy to work with reguarding what you want out of the website.
I know you only want one or two pages, so something very simple should satisfy your needs.

CMSSimple is aimed at those only wanting a set of pages with some information and images with a standard WYSIWYG Editor.
You can install this simple system simply in 4 key steps.
1. First, Downlad the Site system,
Extract the files to a folder in your "My Documents" location.
2. Then upload them with WinSCP.
Load WinSCP up, click "New" => Enter in (for example)
Hostname: ccgi.plus.net
Username: Portal Username
Password: Portal Password
Click "Save" at the bottom.
Click "OK" - This remembers the password for you.
Then you can name the Entry, change as you wish and click "OK" again.
Then Double click on the new entry, you'll be greeted with the connection box.
You'll be asked to allow an encryption key - Click OK / Yes.
You'll eventally be greeted with the CCGI Webspace root. Hurray! we can begin to upload.
Navigate on the lefthand panel to your folder in "My Documents",
find the folder you extracted, open it, select all the files, then drag accross to the right hand pannel where your webspace is.
This is essential,
check that you can see "index.php" once they have all uploaded
3. Once finished,
Up on the top of the WinSCP window, if you look along the tool bars you'll see two Icons -
1. "HOM"
2. A small icon with Two Computers and a Lightning Bolt.
Click on the second Icon.
You'll be asked to allow the Encryption Key, again click OK / Yes.
You'll be asked for your password, enter in your Portal Password.
You should be greeted, and given the following prompt:
username@cshellXX:~$
Now, copy the following command into the window:
fixphpperms.sh -c
Hit enter and it should return a new command line:
username@cshellXX:~$
Then type
"exit"
(Hit return)...
The box should close.
4. Open up your Internet Browser and hit in
http://ccgi.username.plus.com/
And you should now have a simple system to work with.
Click the "Login" Link on the left hand side, and hit in "test" for the password.
You can then change the security password by clicking:
"Settings" at the top
"Edit Configuration" in the list
the first box shows "seurity_password" - change this.
click "Save" in the bottom left.
and there you have it!

Alot to take in I imagine.
if you find that this simply does not have what you expected , just delete it Smiley
it only requires files so most things are safe and easy to modify.
hopefully that might be a simple solution to start with rather than starting entirely from scratch.
Then if you find that you need say, an Image Gallery for the Family Photos,
you can then install something like "Copper Mine",
which I know is highly rated and supported amoungst users here, so you'll have a support base Smiley
I am merely suggesting this as an alternative,
I wouldn't like you to think that I'm trying to force you this way.
Just some ideas. Sorry if my lengthy posts are a bore!
Jim,
laura
Grafter

Jim, no apology needed - a very interesting post, and lots more for me to research! All of this is adding to the sum of my miniscule knowledge and giving me plenty of food for thought, thanks for your time and I apologise for not replying sooner, but I have only just seen this.
Prod_Man
Grafter

No problems Smiley
I appreciate how busy life is
(I'm in the middle of GCSE Exam Period xD)
If you need any more advice,
give any of us a shout Wink
Jim,
laura
Grafter

ok, I'm a dummy.  As you know I want to put a page on my PN webspace.  I have used Ewisoft (free version) to produce the page, clicked Publish within the program, put the required info into the various boxes  (I found the info on the plusnet site).  My Comodo firewall opened a box so that I had to tick allow to start the ball rolling.  Ewisoft opened a box which said "preparing" and info appeared to be going across, though very slowly.  Several minutes later an error box popped up, rather a large one, to the effect that the action could not happen and there was something about either Firewall or Router possibly not letting the info through (can't remember any of the exact message, sorry).  Pause here for gnashing of teeth and a few womanly tears.  If it isn't the firewall I wondered if I have to do something to router settings (Netgear DG834g). I have tried searching on google, and all the links talk about Port Forwarding.  Never having done anything like this before, is Port Forwarding the name for what I am trying to do? Shouldn't Port 21 be automatically configured in the Netgear settings to allow me to put docs on to a webpage? Can anyone shed some light on what I can try to get the info transferred? All thoughts welcome as ever.