user plusnet domains

brankin
Hooked

user plusnet domains

When I look at my website settings I have three domains listed
www.username.force9.co.uk
cgi.username.force9.co.uk
ccgi.username.force9.co.uk
Have constructed a wbesite using PHP and MySQL on the ccgi domain and ftp to cshell.force9.net
I'm considering converting my existing site to Joomla and would like to leave the existing site in place while I "practise". Can I use the cgi domain to host a separate website and if so how?
Richard.
2 REPLIES 2
minkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: user plusnet domains

The cgi platform is an old server which was replaced by ccgi in June 2005. I don't think you can use it, I think it only exists so that people can move their data to the 'new' platform
This is one email I received from plusnet at the time
Dear Mr xxx
Following our earlier email and announcements, PlusNet's new CGI platform is now available, offering a more stable service and improved file permission security.
When you first visit your CGI control panel, it will be displayed as "not activated".  This is because the portal page has changed to show the status of your new CGI service.  Your account on the old platform is still there and active, allowing you to access your data and move it to the new platform.
To activate your account on the new platform, simply press the button on the CGI control panel page. You will receive an email once your new account is created.  Activating your account on the new platform does not automatically move or deactivate your old service or move data between the two platforms.
We are not automatically moving existing CGI accounts because the new, improved platform may require you to adapt some scripts and permissions to run these correctly. We will run the old and the new platforms side by side for a period of 90 days to enable you to safely move, adapt and test your data and applications on the new platform.
Do:
* Continue to back up your own files locally for disaster recovery.
* Move and test your data on the new platform.
* Once successfully running, remove your files from the old platform.
* Remember to point your domain names to the new service via the portal domain tool.
Don't:
* Turn off your SQL - it is separate and not affected by the platform change.
* Remove your data from the old platform - until you're satisfied your move to the new one is successful.
For more detailed information, please see the CGI FAQs here.
http://www.plus.net/support/webspace/cgi/cgi_faq_new.shtml
or for our CGI chat forum, login to http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewforum.php?f=7
Kind regards,
Customer Support
PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband

Jeff
brankin
Hooked

Re: user plusnet domains

OK. Thanks. Looking at various Joomla threads in the forum I think I can practise without wrecking things...too much.
Cheers, Richard
Quote from: minkey
The cgi platform is an old server which was replaced by ccgi in June 2005. I don't think you can use it, I think it only exists so that people can move their data to the 'new' platform
This is one email I received from plusnet at the time
Dear Mr xxx
Following our earlier email and announcements, PlusNet's new CGI platform is now available, offering a more stable service and improved file permission security.
PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband

Jeff