cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

updating web pages using filezilla

samgregkt
Grafter

updating web pages using filezilla

Am I doing something wrong or just missing something? I've updated most of my webpages, saved the same. Next into filezilla dragged the folder (& the individual files) into htdocs, selected update more recent & everything reads files transfered successfully. However when I view my site the next day all of the pages are the old ones & not the updated ones. Help! as it's driving me bonkers, I feel someones out to get me. 
5 REPLIES 5
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: updating web pages using filezilla

Have you tried a 'Ctrl' F5 to refresh the page while viewing it in your browser? You may be looking at a locally cached version.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
samgregkt
Grafter

Yes I've tried that & no effect. Thanks.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Have you included the name of the folder you said you dragged into /htdocs in the URL address you are browsing to? In other words are the old files in /htdocs but the new ones in /htdocs/newfolder? The URL for files in the latter folder would be http:// ... your domain .../newfolder/filename.htm .
David
samgregkt
Grafter

Hi Spraxyt. Aha! this is where I'm probably going wrong. I didn't realise that I had to make a new folder. Once I've done everything as you laid out will the new folder overwrite the old one or do I have to delete the old folder, somehow?
Many thanks, Mick
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

No, I doubt that creating a new folder is what you would want to do; I'm assuming your current files are in the top folder, /htdocs, and that's where you want the new ones to be.
You can't delete the present /htdocs and create a new one.
What you need to do with FileZilla, is:
* in the left-hand pane navigate to the folder on your own computer that your files are in (local site);
* in the right hand pane navigate to /htdocs (remote site)
The lower left hand pane should be displaying a list of the files on your own computer, and the lower right hand pane showing the remote files on your website.
If you want to upload all the files in that folder on your computer to the website, select the first file in the local folder listing. Scroll down to the bottom of the listing, hold down the "caps" key and click the last file. That should select all of them. Now right-click somewhere in the highlighted list and select "Upload". That should queue them all for upload, and upload should start with the transfer taking place according to the options you've selected. Files on the remote computer should be replaced by new ones.
When transfer finishes you should see the new versions in your browser.
I assume you now have an unwanted folder on your website. You can delete that by right-clicking on its name in the top part of the right-hand (remote) pane and selecting "Delete". Confirm you mean it; you should then see the individual files deleted one-by-one, and finally the folder.
David