Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

underline for links

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

underline for links

I have a website and on my "about" page, I have made some links to people who have helped me in some way or another.  The links work fine, but they do not have the usual underline to indicate a link that is clickable.... can anyone suggest how to show the underline, when I make the link... E.g.  I have a link to a friends website called ken`s photos    and that is how the link looks.... I need to be able to re-write the link so that when it eventually displays, it is underlined.?
33 REPLIES 33
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: underline for links

The default setting is to have underlines on links so does your website use CSS?
If so it may have disabled the underline an an a tag with text-decoration:none.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Edited - Peter types faster than I do.
The link on your web page is correct so I would also check your master style sheet
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Grin
The menu used at the top has resulted in all linked text (<a></a>) changing colour on hover which means any links will do the same.
You need to create a new CSS entry something like this
#underline a, #underline a:hover { text-decoration: underline;}
Then in your main page where you want to see an underlined link do the following:
<span id="underline"><a href="somefile.html">Underlined link</a></span>
Hovering over the link will probably still change its color and remove the underline so you will need to experiment with a:hover CSS entries
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

I've looked at the stylesheet it uses (styles.css in the res folder)
The following lines control how links look:
a:link {
text-decoration: none;
color: #E6D4BA;
}
a:visited {
color: #E6D4BA;
}
a:hover {
color: #ffffff;
}
:link is the normal state of a link
:hover means what happens when you hover over a link (in your case the color of the hovered state)
:visited defines what a visited link looks like
So add what I detailed earlier to the styles.css and the span code to your pages. You may need to add an a:visited entry to what I posted.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Also is it intentional to have all your text centered as it makes it difficult to read.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Gerry, they obviously havnt had a look at you web site, your problem i think is that you dont have a space between ...www, this makes the program think it is not a link  Luv P  (back to the nutters section)
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I imported the link (copy and paste)  onto my website and it worked without problems and with underlining
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Ah but are you sure you didn't just copy from www and hence do away with the error I think is there? ther is a lot of difference  ....www.janwright.co.uk and .... www.janwright.co.uk
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

This is a CSS issue and nothing to do with whether there is a space or not. The CSS code I posted is from the website.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Sorry I dont agree the Steve kane link needs a space after .com before the return, the Jan Write needs a space between the ... and www
The
Fenphotos Blogsite link does work, but the construction of the source is not constructed correctly with title etc and hence doesnt show up as a link until you hover over it. 
The link to http://www.van-der-ham.net. aalso doesnt work because it has a full stop after net
if you don't believe me look at the source of the program by right mouse clicking and look at the raw text source.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I copied the whole line from <a href to <p> and it worked fine on my site
Not applicable

Quote from: pierre_pierre
The link to http://www.van-der-ham.net. aalso doesnt work because it has a full stop after net

First point, without looking at the site being debated;
URL's do work if they have a . (full stop) after the top level domain.
Although you don't see them commonly, the full stop after a TLD is implied anyway, but the anally techy amongst the IT world would point out that they do exist.
It basically delimits the TLD, so that DNS knows to start looking for the domain starting at the [internet DNS] root.
Theres a better explanation that I could manage here - worth a read.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
I copied the whole line from <a href to <p> and it worked fine on my site

which of all the links are you refering to Jim
James-h  Funny in your reply the link is underlined, but not on the original site
Not applicable

But this site doesn't have the css problem that the original site has.
Links here are designed to be underlined, whilst links on Shutters site are not (the jAlbum skin he uses is designed to look modern/contemporary/"clean")
As has already been said, the problem is not with the links, its merely the way that our browsers are being instructed to display them by the site itself.