cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to connect to a website

FIXED
dorab

unable to connect to a website

Hi, i've had Plusnet ADSL for about a month now (previously with Virginmedia on a cable connection) and everything's fine apart from not being able to access a particular website (www.tegsltd.co.uk).  There's nothing wrong with the site itself, which is just one of my utilities providers.

The message that comes back when I type in the web address is:

"Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site. We can’t connect to the server at www.tegsltd.co.uk. If that address is correct, here are three other things you can try:
    Try again later.
    Check your network connection.
    If you are connected but behind a firewall, check that Firefox has permission to access the Web.

Needless to say I have no issues connecting to other websites.  I've tried different browsers (Edge, Chrom) to no avail.  I can access via 4G, but I'm with a different provider for mobile.

I've tried resetting the router, and that had no effect.  Current firmware version is 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

Having searched the forums I believe the problem may be something to do with Plusnet DNS servers and it might be a longstanding issue, but i'm not techie enough to know what to do about that.

I haven't come across issues with any other websites, just this one - very odd!

Any thoughts please on what I can do to resolve this?

7 REPLIES 7
ckcomputing
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: unable to connect to a website

@dorab 

It looks as if Total Energy Gas Supplies Ltd. has merged with CNG (https://www.tegsltd.co.uk/tegs-landing.html)

I suggest you try the CNG website: https://www.cngltd.co.uk/

Were you not notified at some time regarding the merger?

Brian

Professionals are predictable - it's the amateurs that are dangerous!
dorab

Hi @ckcomputing, thanks for the reply.  Yes, I was well aware of the merger, but as you've found the TEGS website is still up and running, even if it now directs you to CNG.

It looks as though the issue might be with my desktop PC: I can access the website OK from my mobile now, both on wifi and 4G, but none of the browsers on my desktop work.  Chrome came back with the message:

This site can’t be reached
www.tegsltd.co.uk ’s server IP address could not be found.
Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

And when i ran the diagnostic i got the message "Your DNS server might be unavailable"

It looks as though i might need to change some settings, but i don't know what they might be.

Any further thoughts?

Dorab

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

I'd recommend manually setting the DNS servers in your computer's settings to see if that helps you access the website. If you're unsure how to, I've included some steps below:

1. Go to the Control Panel, you'd normally find that by searching for it in the start menu
  2. Click on Network and Internet
  3. Click on Network and Sharing Center
  4. Click on Change adapter settings
  5. Right click on the connection that you're using, it'd generally either be Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
  6. Click on Properties
  7. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
  8. Click on Properties again
    1. If Obtain DNS server address automatically isn't selected, then select it and click OK
    2. If you're still having issues, try selecting Use the following DNS server addresses and input the ones found Here and click OK.

Let us know how it goes. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ckcomputing
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

@Gandalf 

Beat me to it, Anoush!

Professionals are predictable - it's the amateurs that are dangerous!
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dorab

Many thanks @Gandalf for the help and advice - now i know how to change DNS settings Smiley  I had to input them manually, but that did the trick.

It still seems very strange that i came across only one website that was affected, but hopefully i'll see no more of these issues.

Thanks again,

Dorab

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problem @dorab, I'm glad that sorted it out for you. Thumbs_Up Let me know if you need any further help. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet