Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to install smf

jaythe0ne
Grafter

trying to install smf

ok totally lost.
I'm trying to install smf on my webspace so i can transfer over and host my own Forum, don't want to use phpBB.
Do i ftp the extracted folder to ccgi.haythe0ne.plus.com or to ftp.plus.net ?
cause i tried both and neither will allow the forum to install
I chmod'ed the files to 777.
Help please
33 REPLIES 33
ffupi
Grafter

Re: trying to install smf

No idea about SMF.
It needs to be on ccgi.haythe0ne.plus.com. ftp.plus.net is your www-space on www.haythe0ne.plus.com
Chmod=777 never works on PlusNet, put it to 750 (this is what the ForumBrightSparks always say - though I sometimes required 755).
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

755 on the directories and 750 on the scripts themselves. I believe PlusNet don't allow use of 777 as it's a security risk.
KiwiPete

Why do you not want phpBB, Is smf better?  I am trying to decide which one to use?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just installed smf today actually.
I chose to download the tar file and upload this still zipped to the cgi server. Then log in to cshell.plus.net and unzip this using tar xvzf filename.tar.gz
This will create all the folders and files you need, just change the permissions to 755 (easy to do in most ftp clients)
Once you have done this browse to the install.php file in a web browser and voila
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Here is a trick, which is both quicker, and will not count in your downloads.
From a shell prompt, type;
wget http://downloadsite.com/folder/file.tgz

And it will download direct to the CGI server. This works for FTP address to.
Chilly
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Good point, although the smf tar file is only 1.46 MB so shouldn't be too much of a concern for usage 😐
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jaythe0ne
Grafter

Quote from: KiwiPete
Why do you not want phpBB, Is smf better?  I am trying to decide which one to use?

I've used phpBB and its got serious security issues, a friend of mine has used smf, so i thought i'd give it a go.
ffupi
Grafter

Quote from: MikeWhitehead
755 on the directories and 750 on the scripts themselves. I believe PlusNet don't allow use of 777 as it's a security risk.

How shall that be done, the folders to 755 and the rest to 750, when I have several thousands of folders and files?
The command:
<yourplusnetusername>@cshell01:~$ chmod -vR 750 directoryname
changes everything to 750, the folders and the files. And it works.
Why should the folders be set to 755?
jaythe0ne
Grafter

yup, i globally set all to 750 and it worked fine. thanks for your help everyone.
Lovin the PN community, everyone willing to offer up there time and help big  Grin to evryone
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Quote from: ffupi
Why should the folders be set to 755?

I believe this comes from the warning message page when perms are wrong saying scripts should be set to 755 or from my permissions tutorial which was written for the old cgi server.
World/all permissions (the last number) should never be set as it can cause issues.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Quote from: ffupi
How shall that be done, the folders to 755 and the rest to 750, when I have several thousands of folders and files?

Using the commands:

find . -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
find . -type f -exec chmod 750 {} \;

Remember, however, that this starts from the directory that you are currently in and works its way down.
jaythe0ne
Grafter

ok, so i got the forum to work @ http://username.plus.net/forum and i am in the process of building a website, how do i get the forum to point to www.domain.co.uk/forum ?
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

If your domain currently points to http://username.plus.net then the forum will be accessed via www.domain.co.uk/forum as normal.
Or am I misunderstanding you?
jaythe0ne
Grafter

nope, its my brain not engageing before typing, i've got the forum working at http://ccgi.username.plus.com and want it to point to www.domain.co.uk ; Embarrassed