cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

transfer to plusnet, madasafish retain domain name hosting. Simple huh?

JamesTingle

transfer to plusnet, madasafish retain domain name hosting. Simple huh?

Ticket number 114637799 (possibly)
Following three lengthy phone calls two of which involving a certain amount of misinformation it seems from my perspective that plusnet as a large organisation ought to have been more capable at planning this migration which in my case is still in a mess.
The ticket was issued to ensure the retention of my domain name by maaf whilst the I.S. would move to plusnet due to the takeover but the ticket was ignored and you turned off the domain name. Then you fixed it. Then despite my setting up with you all over again the payment s.o. and the payment having been taken you've turned it off again. So the first time I  lost about 10 days of email . Now I am losing more emails whilst I wait.. Fortunately I do not use my email here for business and so on the first occasion I didn't lose anything important but this second time I've been caused inconvenience by the loss of emails.
My main concern is to retain my domain name which is (mysurname).co.uk and secondly not to lose the use of the email address that has that domain name as a number of friends relatives use it.
You can't save my lost emails.
You will not accept my request to ring me when it's sorted.
You've sent me a text saying my ticket cancels tomorrow but no means of responding to say it still isn't sorted because I can't log in to that section of maaf now, for no apparent reason.
The general impression I have is of  of an organisation staffed by  individuals either naturally or trained to be very pleasant but inadequately trained technically and therefore incompetent and very stressful to deal with.
dick:green Excessive space removed.
25 REPLIES 25
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: transfer to plusnet, madasafish retain domain name hosting. Simple huh?

Hi James,
Apologies for the issues with this and I'm honestly surprised to hear that this hasn't been resolved yet.
I've flagged this with our hostmaster team as a matter of urgency.
I'm sure they'll let me know when they've resolved the issue so I'll post back there when they have.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
JamesTingle

Dear Adam. Thank you for responding. I take it that you have been able to identify my real details. I telephoned at lunchtime and as you say I was surprised nothing has been done since I raised this.  You will appreciate that I am very concerned at the prospect of losing my domain name and not happy as to the lack of appreciation of the urgency.  I do expect that  your organisation will now do whatever is necessary to rectify the situation. The longer you leave it the more expensive for you the consequences of your mistake might be likely to become. Also, with my emails bouncing the mismanagement of the situation is now having more worrying knock-on effects.
Kind regards. "James"
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

The domain looks to have been de-tagged, so we are no longer the registrar for it:
~$ whois [REDACTED].co.uk
[Cached]
[whois.nic.uk]
    Domain name:
        [REDACTED].co.uk
    Registrant:
        [REDACTED]
    Registrant type:
        UK Individual
    Registrant's address:
        The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their
        address omitted from the WHOIS service.
    Data validation:
        Nominet was able to match the registrant's name and address against a 3rd party data source on 10-Dec-2012
    Registrar:
        No registrar listed.
    Relevant dates:
        Registered on: 26-Dec-1999
        Expiry date:  26-Dec-2017
        Last updated:  24-Nov-2015
    Registration status:
        Registered until expiry date.
    Name servers:
        No name servers listed.
    WHOIS lookup made at 12:29:22 03-Dec-2015

Why this has happened, I've no idea although we've an internal incident raised to look into it (ref: 89191).
In the meantime, you are going to need to try and get in touch with Nominet directly to see if they're able to 're-tag' your domain with the 'MADASAFISH'. We can't really do this on your behalf because we've no longer any affiliation with the domain.
Can you get the forgotten password form here to work (it will depend what email address is registered against your domain, might be worth trying your Madasafish addy).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

JamesTingle

Dear Rob
This is very upsetting as you will appreciate. Why no-one has told me what you now tell me until now is unacceptable. That the only way of contacting you guys is by hanging on for an hour or more to your call centre and now it is clear they have been fobbing me off since they first told me that due to your error the ticket was ignored and the domain name connection switched off. So it's not correct for you to say that you have no idea why this has happened.  In jeopardy now is a domain name perhaps I am told worth £20,000 and I now have to go to further effort to try to resolve your mess. Why? You were my duly authorised agent with my authority (which enabled you to turn it off) and so why are you not my agent now for the purposes of taking all necessary steps to rectify your negligence?
It occurs to me that if I ,as an amateur, now try to fix your mess and I make a mistake and lose it then you might be laughing as you might not then not be liable .
Please therefore confirm you accept responsibility fully for the loss (sans recours as to any honest error I make by now trying to fix it) before I proceed with the steps that you recommend.
The registration is linked to the email address with the same domain name so I cant redo the password. Therefore I will  wait until Monday to ring them for advice and I hope in the meantime to receive your reply and formal acknowledgment of your mistake as above mentioned.
Meanwhile  I am now having problems with sites where my details are kept as the email address is not functioning and I can't go about my normal things I want to do such as order things for Christmas etc.
Thanks  also for all my time you have wasted and the further time now to be spent. What do you propose?
Regards
"James"
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Let me know how you get on with Nominet, I'll do all I can to help you.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

JamesTingle

Dear Rob
I have been on to nominet
They say that what you can do is send them a secure message to say you've detagged by mistake and that is the simplest method of getting your mistake undone as they will retag it for you. However you need to do this QUICKLY as it was detagged 24th November. Please can you do this
If I go down the reestablish identity route that will take time, involve me uploading documents and two lots of fees apparently.
Please can someone ring me to confirm what you are going to do?Huh
Thanks
"James"
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi James,
Quote from: JamesTingle
They say that what you can do is send them a secure message to say you've detagged by mistake and that is the simplest method of getting your mistake undone as they will retag it for you. However you need to do this QUICKLY as it was detagged 24th November. Please can you do this

From experience, that's not possible else we'd have taken that approach in the past. I also spoke to our hostmaster before offering you the advice I did and they agreed that the best way is to resolve the issue yourself with Nominet. I'd be happy to reimburse you any fees that are incurred.
I can query the secure message route again the next time I'm in the office, however that may not be this week and I've never known it to work before so you might be better off with the Nominet approach regardless.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

RJust

Dear Bob
I am experiencing the same issue as James, whereas ;
1) my domain IPS tag was MADASAFISH and was detagged
in addition
2) six pop accounts were also pointing at this domain and have been down since wednesday 2nd!
All this without warning or notification
I had to pay Nominet UK plc to re-tag the domain at a cost to myself and still waiting for PN to actually sort things out.
What a debacle.
So far PN have taken no responsibility for this mistake and It has cost me a frustrating amount of  time on support and additional money and consult with a 3rd party.
Since PN are my registrar they are responsible for resolving my domain and thus far (bearing in mind Its day seven now with no email service and unresolved domain)
All I get after waiting each time an average of 45 minutes to then speak to technical assistance is the standard response of 'let me check' and further
waiting ensues with the final response of the hostmaster has been contacted.
I m finding it extremely difficult to understand WHY it is taking so Long to Remedy these issues when it only took milliseconds to Break.
Is this Plusnet's idea of  "Award winning service" ?
I would appreciate a response to these issues ref qu 115788414.
Best Regards
Rob Just
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Rob,
It looks like this happened as the result of the Madasafish account being cancelled after a period of non-payment (at least that's what our systems think). When  the account is cancelled, the domain is de-tagged.
The POP3 mailboxes will be lost.
I'll take a look, but I can't promise anything because things look to be in a bit of a mess...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

RJust

Hi Bob
Yes, is a mess.
MAAF have been charging us for the use of the pop mail accounts @ approx 21.49 at the end of each year as we carried on the mail accounts and only
left  MAAF Broadband services in 2012 and upgraded to PN for our broadband connection (which we pay on a monthly DD).
All have been fine up until our domain record was zapped before last thursday 3/12 and the named servers
no longer referring our website from the lookup.
This also means any mail to all the mailboxes; accounts@, info@, sales@, support@, bob@, neil@ without a domain to refer to just bounced back undelivered.
I don't think the mailbox is dead as the mailserver on freenetname allows a connection with bob@ via telnet, however then there is a break.
Having the website down and mail offline for over a week has killed any listing SEO and credibility that we have built up over the years
This is unacceptable , even for plusnet.
JamesTingle

Dear Bob (sorry I called you Rob last message)
following posting on here last I spoke to your technical department. They were referred to Michael at nominet - apparently the nominet office is quite small. Michael assures me that all you need to do is secure message them to get them to undo the mistake. Your guy who I spoke to said he would get your people to do this and that if there was a probl;em to speak to said Michael. I have been too busy to spend more time on this but now I see a great big nothing. Not evebn an email in my freenetname inbox, no text MEESAGE, no phone calL - zilch. You guys are blanking me and I am not happy. What your new correspondent now says gives me no confidence in doing as you say as regards the procedures and fees . Iput it to you that plucnet are not telling me something and/or working to a hidden agenda here eg lets get rid of the madasafish hosting in  whatever way we caN)? Get someone to phone me to sort this mess out
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: RJust
I don't think the mailbox is dead as the mailserver on freenetname allows a connection with bob@ via telnet.

That's because I re-activated the mailbox on Friday. I hope to pick up next week and see what can be done with the domain name.
Dear Bob (sorry I called you Rob last message)

Not a problem, you're not the first Wink
Following posting on here last I spoke to your technical department. They were referred to Michael at nominet - apparently the nominet office is quite small. Michael assures me that all you need to do is secure message them to get them to undo the mistake. Your guy who I spoke to said he would get your people to do this and that if there was a probl;em to speak to said Michael.

We've already sent a message. When I spoke to our Hostmaster on Friday before I left the office, we were yet to receive a reply.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

RJust

Quote from: Bob
That's because I re-activated the mailbox on Friday. I hope to pick up next week and see what can be done with the domain name.

Good Morning Bob
Thank you for the reply, I have been able to telnet the freenetname mailserver since Friday 4,
yet it would resolve to any records since it broke on thursday 3rd December when I first reported the issue.
Regarding the domain I can see it still not resolving via ns1.force9.net and ns2.force9.net
Really need to get this sorted as it is killing my ability to do business.
Regards R Just
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Bob
Following posting on here last I spoke to your technical department. They were referred to Michael at nominet - apparently the nominet office is quite small. Michael assures me that all you need to do is secure message them to get them to undo the mistake. Your guy who I spoke to said he would get your people to do this and that if there was a probl;em to speak to said Michael.

We've already sent a message. When I spoke to our Hostmaster on Friday before I left the office, we were yet to receive a reply.

And here is Nominet's response. As I suspected, they're suggesting you resolve the issue with them directly as advised previously. I honestly think this is going to be the quickest route forward:
[quote author="Nominet"]The domain [REDACTED].co.uk was detagged and the only person that would now be able to retag this domain would be the current registrant.

Our Online Services provide a registrar change facility to allow you to assign the domain to a new registrar's tag. Please note that there is a fee of £10 +VAT to complete the tag change process.

The registrant can access our online services at http://www.nominet.org.uk/go/login using the contact email address held for their domain name and associated password. If they are unsure of their password, or they have not set one up before, a reset facility is available from the page linked to the login page.

Once logged in they will need to:
• Select the domain name they wish to move to a new registrar by ticking the box to the left of the domain name
• Choose the ‘Change Registrar’ button at the bottom of the screen
• Please read the information given under the Registrar Change Request section and check that the domain name selected are correct
• Enter the ‘Tag’ or name of your new registrar in the ‘New Registrar’s Details’ section and make your selection.
• You will then be asked for your invoice and payment details
Once you have completed this process, the domain name will move over to the new registrar.

Quote from: RJust
Regarding the domain I can see it still not resolving via ns1.force9.net and ns2.force9.net

The domain resolving is only half of the problem. I'm fairly certain we can sort that quite easily. What's going to take time is trying to correct the back-end mail database entries so our mail servers actually accept messages for the domain. That will need to go through our change control processes and if I'm honest with you, it normally takes a week or so to turnaround Sad
Edit: @rjust, I'm going to try associating the domain with your Plusnet account. Do you have a local copy of your website that you could upload somewhere else?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team