cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tranferring a .com out of PlusNet will I encounter any downtime?

cw1972

tranferring a .com out of PlusNet will I encounter any downtime?

Hi,

I am starting the process of transferring my .com domain name out of PlusNet and moving it to Fasthosts.

I have got the domain unlocked and have my EPP code, I a going to read through the guide at Fasthosts for transferring in a .com domain name.

But the process seems fairly straight forward, initiate the request from the Fasthost side and choose to keep the current name servers initially, provide my EPP code for validation and authorisation, configure my necessary DNS on the fasthost side and then change the name servers to the Fasthost name servers.

Am I likely to experience any dowtime with my domain?

Also how long is the EPP code valid for?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Christian

2 REPLIES 2
cw1972

Re: tranferring a .com out of PlusNet will I encounter any downtime?

What  really want to know is if I choose to keep the existing name servers when I initiate the transfer from the new registrar will the plusnet name servers keep working until the transfer is complete?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: tranferring a .com out of PlusNet will I encounter any downtime?

@cw1972 wrote:

But the process seems fairly straight forward, initiate the request from the Fasthost side and choose to keep the current name servers initially, provide my EPP code for validation and authorisation, configure my necessary DNS on the fasthost side and then change the name servers to the Fasthost name servers.

Am I likely to experience any dowtime with my domain?

Depends how your DNS is configured today and what you're aiming to achieve post-transfer?

Also how long is the EPP code valid for?

Typically a month or so.

What  really want to know is if I choose to keep the existing name servers when I initiate the transfer from the new registrar will the plusnet name servers keep working until the transfer is complete?

If the domain still exists in our Domain Control System then yes. If somebody removes it before you've configured what you need to, then no. As soon as you flip the name servers to Fashosts, you're reliant on their DNS rather than ours. You won't be able to host your mail with Plusnet at this point and would have to use Fasthost's email forwarding or another solution.

Having said all that ^ I suspect this advise is moot now anyway. Assuming I'm looking at the right domain, it's already been transferred away?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵