cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sitemap.xml error

BG

sitemap.xml error

I have submitted a sitemap.xml to google but get an error 404  which states, "we encountered an error when trying to access your sitemap". PN have checked this out and see no problem. Sitemap was generated by: www.xml sitemaps.com Asking Google about it is worse than hitting ones head against a brick wall. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.    BG
cp:red Please do not post titles in all CAPS as per link:rules mod:end
11 REPLIES 11
decomplexity
Rising Star

Re: SITEMAP.XML ERROR

Is it in your root directory or somewhere else?
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
BG

Re: SITEMAP.XML ERROR

Thank you, It is in my root directory
samuria
Grafter

Re: sitemap.xml error

Site address so we can look?
As a general note if you have a web problem please state the URL so people can take a look other wise there is a delay sorting the problem out, its hard to do if you cant see the patient
BG

What good is there in giving the url when the problem is in the root directory
Not so bright spark!!
samuria
Grafter

If your so clever why come on here asking for advice.
People are trying to help insulting people wont get you very far  its ignorant and offensive.
I have 20 years IT experience and try to help people I like everyone else don't always get it right but I wont help people who are offensive to those trying to help
BG

My sentiments entirely.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Why dont you go and ask a stupid person then
allaboutoffice
Dabbler

I might have been able to help you but a comment like 'root directory' is no good when I don't know your username!
For your information, Google sitemaps seem to be  very fussy about the file format and even things like the way the line endings are encoded can make them fail.
I find Wordpad is better than Notepad for editing Google sitemaps.
Andrea Jones
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If the OP had been a lot less abrasive and provided the information we might have been able to help.
Just for him
If you put in your browser www.mysite.co.uk/sitemap.xml it brings up the site map file which is why sumuria asked for your site URL.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

There seems to be some confusion over the document root and the system root in this thread. If we can't see it from the URL, how do you expect google to?
BG

As stated originaly, Plus net had failed to identify the issue. It was only after a suggestion by one of their tech guys, that a banner at the bottm of the index page could be the cause had failed to resolve the issue, it was suggested that I try the forum.
I didn't expect to be replied to in such a superior tone as that of the second respondent.
I now consider the matter closed as the issue has now been resolved.