cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

simplly want to add a PDF download to my site

northernneil

simplly want to add a PDF download to my site

I have a site hosted on plus net and want to add a reference manual (and also a logo.png) so that my customers can download it.  However how do I do that ?  If I add the file directly in my 'htdocs' file on the ftp server and they try to link to www.mysite.com/pdfname.pdf I cannot access it.  Same as for the logo graphic. 
Do I have to do something else or store it in a different location so that people can download the file ?
Thanks
Neil
7 REPLIES 7
hulls
Grafter

Re: simplly want to add a PDF download to my site

Have you tried putting a link to it in a standard web page, and using right click, download target?
John
Nick_Russell
Grafter

It should work OK.  A few things to consider...
I am assuming all files are in same directory and you have no sub-folders?
Can you see the logo on your web page?
Have you set up a hyper link to the PDF file using the logo or some text?
Have you added PDF file to same directory as other files? (not necessary to do this, but if you have sub-folder you have to be careful with paths)
Have you got blanks in PDF file name?  If so take them out and use underscore ( _ )instead of blanks.

Wen you say you "cannot access it.." what actually happens?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

When you uploaded the files were the transfers done as ascii or binary? Both of these should be binary. Pay attention to filename and extension case. Windows works with either but Linux doesn't.
Did you set file permissions (using the FTP program) so that the files could be reached and read (directories in the path 711 or 755, files 644)?
David
Pancho
Grafter

I have quite a few PDF files on my site and there is a web page (HTML document) that links to them. I.e. on the web page there are links to the PDF files. Click on the link and the PDF file opens in the browser, which the user can then save to their machine as they wish.
Tried to put a line for a link here but it comes out wrong - see attached.
Put this line into a html document. It assumes that the PDF file is in the same folder as the html document. If not you have to modify the <a href.... part.
Incidentally Text Pad (free program) is useful for editing html docs as it shows the tags in colour. I use it for editing quite a lot.
Pancho
Grafter

Sorry the attachment was the web page view; here is the code.
Negger
Dabbler

Hi Pancho
I'm no expert, but I have pdf's loaded without any problem.
I use Filezilla as the ftp client.
File permissions of the pdf's are set as default at 640.
I have my pdf's stored in a separate folder, so the pathway is
<a href="../folder name/filename.pdf">Name of PDF as seen on web page</a>
if you have no folder, then obviously remove the " /folder name ", but I beleive the two leading dots are important to give a relative file path ?
http://ccgi.grahammorris.plus.com/personaltax.php
http://ccgi.grahammorris.plus.com/willwriting.php
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Hello,
the ".." at the beginning is for relative addresses.  It means look up one level in the directory tree.  If files are in the same folder or under the folder where the link is it will not work.
I have this code -
<a href="information/datasheet.pdf"
My datasheet.pdf is in the "information"  folder under the root folder.  If I hover on the web page the whole path is shown -
www.AAAAAAA.co.uk/information/datasheet.pdf
Alternatively you could use the whole path in the code eg <a href="www.AAAAAAA.co.uk/information/datasheet.pdf">Data sheet</a