cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

simple WiFi extension solution for Plusnet One router over CAT6 following home extension

rrollins

simple WiFi extension solution for Plusnet One router over CAT6 following home extension

Recently extended our home and relocated main BT access point & Plusnet One router to former garage (outside double brick wall) resulting in no/poor WiFi signal on the other side of house. I have also partly networked the house using CAT6.

Looking for recommendations for a simple and relatively low cost WiFi extension solution and ideally taking advantage of the CAT6 networking.

I also have a Plusnet Sagemcom 2704N 'Zero' router if it was possible to easily bridge this to the Plusnet One router although Plusnet say this isn't supported.  Otherwise have heard good reports of the UniFi AC Lite AP.

6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Re: simple WiFi extension solution for Plusnet One router over CAT6 following home extension

There are lots of ways of skinning this cat.

Personally I've used a Devolo Ethernet over power WiFi AP.  Some report interference with ADSL ,however I have encountered no issues.

There are though a wealth of WiFi APs out there which you can stick into one of the Ethernet ports on your main router ... using your CAT6 network.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: simple WiFi extension solution for Plusnet One router over CAT6 following home extension

@rrollins wrote:

I also have a Plusnet Sagemcom 2704N 'Zero' router if it was possible to easily bridge this to the Plusnet One router although Plusnet say this isn't supported.  

Give the Zero a static IP within the same subnet as the Hub One, but outside it's DHCP pool, disable DHCP and connect one of its LAN ports to one of the Hub Ones Lan ports via your Cat 6 network.

Job done.

rrollins

thanks for your replies

rrollins

@DaveyH

Firstly thanks for your reply.

So presumably I start by configuring the Zero router using http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html but I can't find this when I connect the Zero to my Windows 7 Ent laptop via the LAN ports (pink ETH4 port on router) - any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Do I need to connect the BT modem and connect them via ADSL?

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@rrollins

The Pink port is used as an Ethernet WAN port (for connecting to Openreach VDSL modem) IIRC.
Use one of the other ports, they're LAN ports.
rrollins

Thanks again for your reply - very useful.

@DaveyH Re: Give the Zero a static IP within the same subnet as the Hub One, but outside it's DHCP pool, disable DHCP and connect one of its LAN ports to one of the Hub Ones Lan ports via your Cat 6 network. Job done.

May I ask if you've tested this and it actually works before I start as it will likely take me hours as not familar to me:-)?