Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scam...

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

scam...

A couple of scam calls recently - well I assume they were scam - regarding my broadband...

One call yesterday from 01736082332 yesterday and one this morning from 01860019161.  These appeared to be a recorded message 'being forwarded' from BT to the effect that my broadband was to be turned off.  A couple of options at the end, essentially suggesting I press whatever number to talk to someone about it.  Couldn't recognise the accent but definitely an English accent, so can't blame our friends on the Indian sub-continent for this...

Although the numbers were different it was the same voice with the same recorded message, I assume the caller's number can easily be faked so presumably a call blocker wouldn't help?

Apologies if this should be in posted somewhere else...

4 REPLIES 4
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: scam...

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Everything Else 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

If you had a phone with Call Guardian or Blocker built in then they can block anything number not saved in your phone, if someone wants to speak to that's not saved you they have to say their name and press a button to be put through.

We have these and it works really well. Not had a nuisance / scam call since.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@PNnewbie Pure scam that's been around for a good few months. As the thread got moved as I was replying, here the short version of my original reply:-

01736 area code is for Penzance - not somewhere 'BT' would be calling from.

01860 area code doesn't exist in the UK.

Having looked further at those 'numbers' - they are even more invalid as no subscriber numbers begin with a zero - except on the Brighton (Susses) exchange.

John
PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

@dvorakThis topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Everything Else...

My apologies...

@dvorak/j@jab1 - Thanks for your inputs.  I have been toying with the idea of buying a Call Blocker for a while so I may just have to do something about it.  These calls - and though we get fewer than we used - are still an annoyance.  I was 'just' locking the door to go out a few days ago when the phone rang.  My attitude always is 'if it's important, they'll call back', however having an elderly relative who is unwell we do have to make an effort to answer all calls, so I had to make a dash to answer...As it happened it was a genuine call.

Thanks again, appreciate your advice.