cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

refreshing a web page

samgregkt
Grafter

refreshing a web page

How can I avoid having to refresh my website or page within the site, without having to press  F5. 
14 REPLIES 14
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Re: refreshing a web page

Quote from: samgregkt
How can I avoid having to refresh ... without having to press  F5. 

Not sure I understood the question correctly 😕  but some dim recall that IE has a checkbox-to-tick (within Internet Options, somewhere) that tells your browser always to check for the latest version of the page.  I tested it out once, and found that it would cause the page-view counter always to increment, whereas usually if you return to a page (without having made that setting on Options) it doesn't (ie so it called the page up afresh).
Don't know if Firefox has anything similar - was that sort of what you were looking for?
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

there are add-ins for chrome and firefox too.
or did you want a script on your page to reload it for everyone?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
samgregkt
Grafter

Hi dvorak, yes that seems just what I want. So that anyone who re-visits one of my webpages doesn't have to refresh their browser to see the latest information. Do I have to have the script on each page or just the home page & can you supply the script that I can just copy & paste?
Best regards, Mick     
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

something like this used to work:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="15">
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
samgregkt
Grafter

Thanks  dvorak, but as I don't know anything about HTML......please tell me where I place it. Please be gentle on me!
Best regards, Mick.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

What are you using to build / edit your site?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
kmilburn
Grafter

Refreshing the page to get the latest update is so 90's....      Grin
Using javascript timers and AJAX to load/reload the data is much nicer,  and not that tricky.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Are you sure you want the page to automatically refresh after x seconds? It sounds to me like you actually want the browser not to cache the page so that when a visitor returns he is always given a fresh up-to-date page rather than a potentially old copy that has been cached by his browser.
Need far more info to help as you could well be asking the wrong question, or at least having your question misinterpreted.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

My guess is that Mick is really seeking no caching rather than continuous refreshing. The site is also probably on Homepages which returns HTTP/1.0 responses.
Perhaps better than no caching would be pages expiring after 1 day - does HTTP/1.0 support that?
David
David
samgregkt
Grafter

Many thanks for all of your replies. Strat, dare I say it (as I'm always scorned upon) but I used Frontpage 2000 to build my site, please don't throw a wobbly. I'm looking at changing my editor to Blue Griffon but I'm finding it quite difficult especially as I only have about a hour a day to learn. FP2000 works for me & I can easily work with it. I know there are limitations with it, but I don't want an all singing & dancing website.  
Kmilburn, I know that having to refresh the page is outdated & that's why I'm looking to you guys for help. When you say it's not that tricky please remember that I'm not that experienced  & what's not that tricky for you, may be extremely difficult for me. Consider me as a challenge. Spraxyt (David) found me a challenge & to his credit he persevered with a previous problem & we finally worked it out.
MJN, you seem to suggest exactly want I need. Whenever I update any information on a page or pages within my site, I & others always have to refresh (F5) a page to see the updated info.
As I'm a novice & you're all experts, I really do appriecate all the help that you give, but please remember that any instruction has to be very simple for a dummie to understand & implement. Please don't castigate me for using FP2000 as an editor, I'm still learning. I know nothing about HTML. I'm not stupid but I need help & I'm always willing to learn.
If PN could design a website builder/editor that was as simple as FrontPage, I feel sure that they could capture the market. An ISP with a website builder, Plus, (net) with the support of you guys.....surely that's got to be a winner!  
Best regards, Mick.  
I was just posting this reply & spraxyt/David contributed. David I was wondering what took you so long!  You've been such a help in the past. You must remember me (secure webpage?).
David, you're probably right but as you must remember, that to me, your reply could be written in chinese or mandarin, good to hear from you though. Mick (be gentle on me)   
Gabe
Grafter

Yup, the homepages platform isn’t equipped for users to do cache control the ‘proper’ way, but for most modern browsers, adding the following to the head section of your document should work
<meta http-equiv="Cache-Control" content="must-revalidate" />
<meta http-equiv="expires" content="0" />

If you look at your html, you’ll see some meta tags already there; just add these two. The second one says ‘always check the server for updates’ and the first one says ‘no, I really mean it when I say always’.
Older browsers and proxies don’t quite work this way, but this should work most of the time.
Gabe
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Hi Mick, I don't think it was so much trying to guide you that was the challenge, more identifying and working round Frontpage's efforts to prove it knew best. Grin
Adding those two lines provided by Gabe worked for me in a test page and achieved what I think you want. Smiley
They need to go in every page, I suggest putting them immediately after the line with the <title> ... </title> tag (and before </head>)  if Frontpage will let you.
Regards, David
David
samgregkt
Grafter

Congrats Gabe & David, it worked!!
I've only put the script on one of my pages as a trial & I made a deliberate addition to the page. After FTP I rechecked the page & there was the addition, it's magic!
Well done guys, I'm so pleased.
Best regards, Mick.
samgregkt
Grafter

Hi Gabe & David, I just thought that I'd let you know that I've included the script on every page & all is fine. Once again well done guys & many thanks to all of you that came up with suggestions. Another job well done.
Best regards, Mick.