Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

redirect from ftp server to cgi server

SoulBriski
Grafter

redirect from ftp server to cgi server

Hi
My entire site is hosted on the PN cgi server because it incorporates an interactive photo gallery and mySQL database but the address is ugly so i have an index.htm and dummy.htm on the ftp server to redirect users to the cgi site.
Users type www.jnmbc.co.uk into their address bar and index.htm redirects them to ccgi.username.plus.com (ugly isn't it?)
This configuration causes a problem if someone is using FireFox because the index.php on the cgi server just keeps looping
Am i using an old method and if so, what is the current practice to get round the fact that PN have two separate servers.
I read somewhere on this forum that you can use DNS records. How do I achieve this?
Many Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: redirect from ftp server to cgi server

Just point your domain to the ccgi server.
See the domains usertools tutorial here.
SoulBriski
Grafter

Thanks for your reply.
I've followed the link to the tutorial. It makes sense and sounds easy so i will have a go late one evening.
Again though there is mention of hosting the entire site on the cgi server not being recomended.
Is this old advice or current advice?
Why is/was it not recomended
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

old advice.
Must remember to remove that!!!
SoulBriski
Grafter

Yes thanks.
I've just read more input you have had into this issue with other forum users and i have a clear understanding of it now.
I am a bit concerned though about my sites downtime, are PN up to speed on responding to tickets of that type?
SoulBriski
Grafter

for the benefit of all
The help received in this thread from Peter Vaughan was very beneficial and greatly appreciated.
I configured my DNS records as suggested in the tutorial, raised a ticket with PN, the changeover completed within about 2 hours.
Who could ask for more?
PN do say however that the changeover could take upto 24hrs so bear that in mind if you are going to go down this route