cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rDNS changes on residential account

FIXED
adsmaj

rDNS changes on residential account

I seem to be having some trouble getting an rDNS record added to my static IP on a residential account.

I contacted Plusnet support with my initial rDNS change request which went through fine and I confirmed the change 24hrs later. I then re-checked and it had reverted back to the standard USERNAME.plus.com a few days later.

Since then I've been told by some support staff rDNS is unavailable on residential and others who are happy to forward the changes to the back room team.

Does anyone know if this can be done on residential accounts?

For reference I'm trying to run a mail server and require eg. mail.domain.co.uk type rDNS PTR records.

Adam.

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: rDNS changes on residential account

Fix

Hi Adam,

I'm really sorry about this. I've checked the process and we can 100% do rDNS changes for residential accounts still so I've arranged for feedback to be provided internally.

It looks like someone else you've spoken with had raised a NetOps task to carry out the rDNS request and doing an nslookup your IP address is now pointed to your domain. Smiley

Let me know if there's anything else you'd need help with. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
adsmaj

Seems there is quite some confusion at Plusnet support regarding the rDNS topic Smiley

Thanks for looking into this for me and confirming that rDNS is available on residential accounts.

Cheers,

Ads.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problem Ads,

There does seem to be indeed even though the process documentation is all there. I've fed back to try to clear things up. Smiley

Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@adsmaj wrote:

Since then I've been told by some support staff rDNS is unavailable on residential and others who are happy to forward the changes to the back room team.

Does anyone know if this can be done on residential accounts?

For the benefit of others ...

If anyone encounters this response from support, ask them to consult "Albert".  Apparently the old knowledge base had very old guidance within it.  I understand that "Albert" knows best and advises that rDNS on residential accounts is indeed permitted.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.