Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rDNS change

FIXED
whall3y
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

rDNS change

Is there some automated form to get the reverse DNS changed to point my static IP at my server? I have the forward A entry setup.  Don't have a lot of confidence in phoning general support and them understanding what I am asking.

14 REPLIES 14
starfry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: rDNS change

I think there was a form (I've just looked, I can't find it - it may have been removed. PN have a habit of removing things!). It offered you the choice of username.plus.com or nnn-nnn-nnn-nnn.plus.com being the your static IP. (I think there was a 3rd option but I can't remember what it was).

Even with the form the request would likely end up with a competent technical support engineer who would then do very little to make the change. You'd then call them up and open (another) ticket and request that the change you'd already requested be actioned. Things would go back and forth, there'd be some silly questions with obvious answers but, hey, it's fun. Then seven or eight weeks later, if you're lucky, the efficent machine will have modified your rdns for you.

If you're really lucky, some time later (random) it'll automatically (no action from you required, no need to ask) revert back to displaying your name. This is a fantastic opportunity for you to go over the whole process again to have the change re-applied and wait another couple of months for the machine to roll its gears into action.

Good luck!

whall3y
Dabbler

Sounds like you have the scars from a previous battle and perhaps a little PTSD... 😊
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @whall3y @starfry 

Logon on to the members centre then >Add-ons >Static IP >Configure Static IP

Scroll down to Additional Information and follow the instructions, this is where I requested the change.

Hope this helps

Dan.

whall3y
Dabbler

Thanks have given that a whirl....

starfry
Rising Star

@Dan_the_Van That is interesting. I don't have a static ip option on that page even though I have had a static ip for 19 years!

Would you be able to post the link to the rdns page?

Just so I can bookmark it for when they next decide to mess up my rdns Wink

Thanks

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @starfry 

Link from members centre home page to Add-ons >Static IP >Configure Static IP

Hope it works

Dan.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Doesn't work for me Roll_eyes
Had static IP as long as I can remember...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
starfry
Rising Star

This is what I get if I follow that link:

If you are an existing customer
Unfortunately, this feature is not available with your current account. To raise any queries and to upgrade your account, please use the Contact Us tool here at the Portal

I have a static IP, I've had one for years. I've also been on the rDNS page some time in the last year because I entered a request.

The mind boggles...

I just checked my ticket history and I have this record of having done this before:

Your Response
7:50am, Tuesday 21 Jul 2020
[Support Wizard Journey]
[Change my Reverse DNS configuration]
[Technical Support]
[Domains & DNS]
[Customer wishes to change Reverse DNS configuration]

whall3y
Dabbler

Fix

https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=wizard&page=22425&wizard_id=38

I filled in the form and have had an update stating that it has been passed to the 'back office team' for action. Fingers crossed.

whall3y
Dabbler

Now resolved, rDNS change made.

trefors

I need to do this myself now and it looks like every option in this thread has been removed.

Why you do this, Plusnet?

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hey @trefors

I'm sorry to hear that you're also having problems in getting your rDNS sorted. Please can you advise me whether you're wishing to have this this changed to:

- youraccountusername@plus.com

- yourIPaddress.plus.com

- anythingelse.plus.com

Once we've received a response, we'll be happy to get this task raised with our NetOps team for you.

-Adam - Plusnet Leeds

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
trefors

Thanks Adam. I posted this a little in haste as I do actually have a ticket open. It's not had a response, as yet, though.

It's of the anythingelse format.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @trefors 

Looks like our NetOps team wanted confirmation that your domain was pointing to your IP (which I see it is)

I've passed the task back to them to action the rDNS change request which should be done within 48 hours.

I'll post back as soon as I know more.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet