Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rDNS change. I would like to look into this please

FIXED
Star-Light100
Grafter

rDNS change. I would like to look into this please

rDNS change. I would like to look into this please as I feel really concerned for my online security about having my username displayed to the whole of the internet.I would like it to display part of my actual IP address that I’m on at the time. I was informed if there are any problems with this, then to ask Albert. Thank you.
3 REPLIES 3
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: rDNS change. I would like to look into this please

Fix

Hi there,

We've now updated the rDNS records to remove your username from the rDNS records so that it'll be [IP].plus.com. It'll take between 4 to 24 hours for the DNS to propagate, but if you do an nslookup (through the Command Prompt) of your IP address after then, you should find that your username is no longer displayed. 

For what it's worth, you do have a static IP, as I know you've rang us and we've said you have a dynamic IP. It's not a static IP you've paid for though so it may not have been immediately obvious to an adviser looking at your account which may have led them to believe you're on an IP of a dynamically assigned range.

We automatically apply a static IP, should one not already exist, if an account has the broadband firewall activated, Pro-Addon enabled, or go into failed payment, due to the way these services work in our network. 

(I've been following your thread here > https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Possible-privacy-security-problem-after-changing-to-a-non/m-... in my free time)

Moderators Note: Corrected Typo.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Star-Light100
Grafter

Thank you very much for getting this fixed for me. I can confirm my username is no longer displayed. Thanks to everyone for their help.👍
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Glad to see that! No problem, let me know if there's ever anything else you'd need help with.

Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet