cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Your website has exceeded its bandwidth allowance"

PeterKahrel
Dabbler

"Your website has exceeded its bandwidth allowance"

The last two months I received a message three times from the so-called Plusnet Abuse Team saying that my website has exceeded its bandwidth allowance. Each time I checked my own traffic and web-space usage, and each time I was way under the limit: in transfers, 4.17 Gb out of 250 Gb; web space, 80% unused. Luckily, because the excess wasn't, well, excessive, my website wasn't blocked in the hard-handed way it was on earlier occasions.
I asked each time for clarification because I don't understand the excess. A fellow sufferer suggested that I might have some very large graphic files on my web site whose downloads are (allegedly) generally not registered. But I have no big files on the site, the biggest file there is about 4 Mb. PlusNet has so far never told me what caused the excess.
PlusNet's alerts say that I might be interested in upgrading my account. I might be, but not until PlusNet show me what causes the excess. I can see no evidence of excess in PlusNet's usage-measurement tools, so I think its up to them to point out why their abuse alerts are triggered.
Peter
8 REPLIES 8
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: "Your website has exceeded its bandwidth allowance"

Is that a typo? The daily bandwidth allowance is 250Mb.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You might like to disable viewing the directory contents on your site:
http://www.kahrel.plus.com/indesign/?C=S;O=D
http://www.kahrel.plus.com/indesign/images/?C=S;O=D
Those pdf's don't look like good news - I hope when you are looking at the daily downloads you are dowloads by the webcrawlers which will download those pdf's.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
PeterKahrel
Dabbler

Bob,
> Is that a typo? The daily bandwidth allowance is 250Mb.
This is what I see on my page: "This month you've used 7.11GB of your 250GB allowance."
And there is a line next to it that says "Your usage allowance - Up to 250GB (applies between 8am - Midnight)"
There a note under a helptip that says that if I use more than my allowance, PlusNet will add 5Gb at a cost of £5. That's fair enough but hasn't happened.
Peter
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That's your broadband download allowance and absolutely nothing to do with with your website traffic allowance which is as Bob stated!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Jelv's right, you're confusing your broadband allowance with the bandwidth allowance for your hosted website. For your website, only 250Mb of transferred data is permitted each day. This is basically people/web crawlers visiting/downloading things from your website i.e. if I downloaded scriptui-2-8.pdf from your website 120'ish times in a day, it would take you over your allowance.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

PeterKahrel
Dabbler

Aha, thanks for clarifying that.
> You might like to disable viewing the directory contents on your site
That may be a good idea. I've looked around but couldn't find how to do that. Where do I find instructions? or could you explain?
That wouldn't stop anybody downloading files. I'll look into increasing my daily allowance.
Thanks,
Peter
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Either put an index.html file in every folder or add
Options -Indexes 

to the .htaccess file
http://bfy.tw/2l2S
PeterKahrel
Dabbler

Nice one, the autotyping Google seaarch. But I'm a bit out of my depth here, so I wouldn't have known what to google for. Made for instructive reading. Anyway, since I have only three or four directories I placed an index.html file in them. Also because I couldn't work out how to deal with the .htaccess file, but a google on 'plus.net .htaccess' gave some interesting results and I'll try and work it out later.
Thanks to both of you!
Peter