cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems setting up web pages using mac can anyone help

tgr
Grafter

problems setting up web pages using mac can anyone help

I am using a mac running leopard.  I have followed the instructions on uploading files on an apple mac supplied by plus net.  Used cyberduck.  Uploaded some files but cannot see the files when i go to the site apparently i haven't  uploaded the index.html properly.
plus net staff have suggested that I go to the community to get help i have shown below what they say i need to do but am not sure how to do it can anyone help

Thank you for your update on this matter, to be able to view a website you will first need to upload a new index.html.
thanks
Gordon
8 REPLIES 8
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: problems setting up web pages using mac can anyone help

Assume that you have uploaded the files into the htdocs directory?
For FTP I use FileZilla on all platforms.
Can you post your URL so that people can have a look to see if there is anything obvious?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
tgr
Grafter

url for my website is www.tgr293.plus.com. ; I have just tried it this morning and there now  appears to be an index and a file there but it is not how i expected a web site to look.  All others i have set up in the past on other sites years ago actually show the documents fully opened for people to view these just appear as a list which you have to click on and open.  Perhaps this is a cheap way of doing it and this is why it is free but i don't know.  Could you try the url and let me know what u see and if that is how it should be.  Many thanks for your reply.
best wishes
Gordon
dvorak

Hi Gordon,
The issue is that you do no have a file called 'index.html' in the public area of your webspace, all that is in your webspace is an open office document which won't be displayed.
If you have an index.html it needs to go into the htdocs folder, if not you'll need to create one.
HTH,
Adie
Customer / Moderator
tgr
Grafter

Thank you Adie,
how do i create the index.html I am 70 now and when i first put up a web page a fair few years ago it was all done automatically for you so we seemed to have stepped backwards in technology on this point (lol).  Luckily we have people like yourself who are kind enough to explain things to us old fogies Wink
Best Wishes
Gordon
dvorak

Hi Gordon,
after this post I'll move it to the web hoasting forum as you are more likely to get the help you need ther Smiley
what are you using to generate your files? there should be some documents that need uploading to your webspace.
Adie
Customer / Moderator
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: tgr
how do i create the index.html I am 70 now and when i first put up a web page a fair few years ago it was all done automatically for you

Have you looked in to using iWeb, which will have come with your Mac unless it's more than three and a quarter years old? iWeb will take care of generating all of the correct files for you; all you need to do is design your website, then upload the files that iWeb generates. If you want things even easier, you could consider purchasing iWeb '09 (only available as part of iLife '09), which includes FTP integration, so you won't even have to manually upload any files.
tgr
Grafter

I have got the i web prog so i think i shall just use that as it look as if it ill be much easier just like the old days  Many thanks for the advice from both of u

Best Wishes Gordon
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Gordon do you need some help with your site?  There is no files in your htdocs directory.