cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

point plus net registered co.uk domain to strikingly hosted page

meandmydrums

point plus net registered co.uk domain to strikingly hosted page

Can anyone help with this?

I'm trying to get my georgemoorey.co.uk domain name to point to my page hosted at strikingly.

Strikingly have supplied this info:

your DNS settings should be only one (1) A record for georgemoorey.co.uk to 54.183.102.22 and then CNAME for www to www.georgemoorey.co.uk.s.strikinglydns.com

the CNAME has to be set up so that www is in the right field and www.georgemoorey.co.uk.s.strikinglydns.com in the left field on the plus.net form fields in my account - it won't go in any other way

after 24hrs+ there's no change so I went back to strikingly and they said this:

I checked on the current DNS records for your domain georgemoorey.co.uk and the settings that you have made is not reflecting on the servers. I also noticed that the domain has 2 different sets of name servers (see attached screenshot), 

Hostname        Type    TTL    Content
georgemoorey.co.uk    NS    14399    ns1.plusnet.co.uk   
georgemoorey.co.uk    NS    14399    ns2.plusnet.co.uk   

georgemoorey.co.uk    NS    14399    ns1.force9.net
georgemoorey.co.uk    NS    14399    ns2.force9.net

This could be the reason the changes you made isn't reflecting. There should only be one set of name servers. 

Please reach out to your domain registrar's support team for further assistance regarding the name servers and to which platform will you need to set up the A record and CNAME of Strikingly so the changes will reflect across all servers.

I'm pretty ignorant of all this.  I just want to put in the correct information in the appropriate fields on my plus net account and get georgemoorey.co.uk and www.georgemoorey.co.uk pointed to my strikingly site!  Hopefully someone knows what all this means and can help?

10 REPLIES 10
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: point plus net registered co.uk domain to strikingly hosted page

Having those four nameservers is OK. The Force9 servers are the primary ones.

I'm not sure whether Plusnet support externally hosted domains, but assuming they do, the DNS records you need are

The existing MX record which goes to your own server.

Two additional resource records containing

left field            type      right field
georgemoorey.co.uk.   A         54.183.102.22
www                   CNAME     www.georgemoorey.co.uk.s.strikinglydns.com.

Note: full stops are needed after the left-field name on the A record and after the right-field name on the CNAME record.

Does your comment mean that right-field name is too long to be entered in the DNS setting form field in your Member Centre? If this is the case can strikingly offer a shorter version?

David
meandmydrums

When I input the CNAME record as suggested I got this error message:  only the characters . - a-z 0-9 are allowed in the left field

That's why I swapped the fields around, but that doesn't appear to be successful either.

I'm quite confused!

Any ideas?

spraxyt
Resting Legend

The left field entry on the CNAME record should contain only the three letters www (without a full stop).

Is it possible a space was inadvertently entered before (or after) the www?

Swapping the fields around is wrong and won't work, as you discovered.

David
meandmydrums

Thanks David, I've tried several times now and still get the error message.  It doesn't make sense because "www" shouldn't prompt an error message.

I thought perhaps the autocorrect on my computer had added in a space but that wasn't the case.

Not sure what to do next as can't get hold of any plus.net staff directly without a 25 minute wait on the phone.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

If you did get through on the phone I suspect you'd be referred back to here for this matter.

Even here your requirement is beyond what I'd expect from normal hosting support.

This is just a guess but it's possible your zone file has been corrupted by making several changes in sequence. Since entering the CNAME record is causing problems I suggest removing that entry in your domain control panel (if present) so that just your MX and the new A records remain. Submit those and wait overnight to see if the system stores those.

I think that would mean browsing to georgemoorley.co.uk will redirect to www.georgemoorley.co.uk, but that won't be found.

If this is successful adding the CNAME record can be tried tomorrow..

David
spraxyt
Resting Legend

It looks like that A record has now taken effect, and as I suspected browsing to georgemoorey.co.uk redirects to the www equivalent. However now DNS entries have been cleaned up I see that there is currently a www entry as a CNAME pointing to Homepages.

Do you still have the Domain Hosting Settings in your Hosting Control Panel set to "Default"? That needs to be set to "Other" to allow you to provide your own CNAME entry for www.

David
meandmydrums

Thanks again David, it's helpful and hopefully I'm learning some stuff here.  Here's a screenshot of my plus.net interface.  

domain issue.jpeg

Strikingly are continuing to make suggestions.  Here's the most recent:

I checked on the DNS records for your domain  georgemoorey.co.uk and I can see that the A record of 54.183.102.22 is already applied. However, the CNAME record is still reflecting as homepages.plus.net. It needs to be changed to www.georgemoorey.co.uk.s.strikinglydns.com. (with full stop as what is suggested on the forum). Can you edit the existing CNAME to the correct value?

Also, it shows there are 2 A records for www.georgemoorey.co.uk to 212.159.9.91 (can those be deleted?). See attached screenshot.

I shall wait for a while longer to try adding the new strikingly CNAME record again.  Is this the right next move?

Thanks

George

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Thanks for the image of your settings. The Domain Hosting Settings option is set to "Other" as it should be. Thumbs_Up

The www CNAME entry for your domain which is present in the published DNS records does not appear on your control panel so this must originate from hosting settings on your Plusnet account. I am not sure whether adding your own CNAME entry will replace that automatically or whether Plusnet need to change an account setting. However are you happy to give this a try?

Doing this would require a CNAME entry adding in the "Additional DNS records" section containing

Left field    Type    Right field
www           CNAME   www.georgemoorey.co.uk.s.strikinglydns.com.

(don't forget the terminating full stop on the Right field value)

If the entry is accepted it will be necessary to wait overnight to see if it takes effect. If you get an error message you could try replacing www with the fully qualified name www.georgemoorey.co.uk. (with a trailing full stop), but if neither are accepted I think you will need Plusnet help.

The two A records presently returned by DNS for www queries are associated with the Homepages URL in the current CNAME.. These will automatically vanish when the CNAME is changed.

David
meandmydrums

OK, just tried adding it.

It accepted it.  Unfortunately I mistyped george in the right field and typed gerge.

Tried to do it again and got the error message, so we know what's happening - it's just taking 24-48hrs to sort itself out.  I shall try again at the end of the weekend!

Thanks for the help thus far - I'll update here and hopefully the matter will be resolved!

meandmydrums

I managed to get a plus net staffer to make some amendments online.  He didn't tell me exactly what needed doing or what the problem was but said it's done and expect 24 hrs before seeing the desired outcome.