Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

php problems/questions

tomcat31
Dabbler

php problems/questions

Hi there,
I'm new to plus net and as such I would like to transfer my web site over to here but I have a couple of questions:
1. My site is currently using .php extensions (so only the sidebar needs updating once rather than on every page) can I upload all of my site to my cgi space and put a forwarding index.htm to point there or will I need to redesign my site.
2. I've started playing with the idea of forums etc. but I'm new to sql and phpBB. I've been following the tutorial for installing phpbb but I get as far as "Installing the Software" but when I type my url in the browser all i get is
"404 Not Found The requested URL /install/index.php was not found on this server. error message."
Can anyone help?
Cheers
Allen
4 REPLIES 4
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Re: php problems/questions

Hi Allen,
I don't use the PlusNet web hosting solutions so I'm not the best placed to answer. I'll do my best though, and if I'm wrong in anything I'm sure someone will point it out.
1. You should be able to upload your site to the ccgi space provided - PlusNet ccgi is configured to recognise the PHP extension. I'm not sure what you mean by needing an index.htm though, as if your site has an index.php then that would suffice.
2. If your webspace was at www.example.com, and you upload the forum software to a directory called forum, then you would need to navigate to www.example.com/forum/install/index.php

I hope this helps.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

I have several sites entirely in ccgi space and I use the DNS Records to point the domain to them and a .htaccess file to direct to the sub folder in ccgi. It took me a while to get sorted but all the information is on this forum and I got there in the end.

Just search for DNS records, domain names, .htaccess and you should find the info required. Posts by Ffupi and Peter Vaughan (Forum megastars) have all the answers. Posts by me too should throw up answers but I was the less than knowledgable recipient rather than the forum help fairy Cheesy
Prod_Man
Grafter

Hello there tomcat31,
I see exactly what you're asking.
Yes, you can have a HTML Website with PHP Scripts all stored on the CCGI Server.
Meaning no change at all to your existing Website structure.
Installing PHPBB is no problem at all other than the PHPBB Version that you had in mind, it just depends if you're going for PHPBB2 or PHPBB3.
I've only ever installed PHPBB3 once, and I can't even remember how much different it was.
All I know is that PHPBB2 is probably your only option for a painless installation,
if you would really prefere PHPBB3 give me some time to see if I can't get it to work Tongue
I can give you a Guide to either 2/3 if you wish.
Hope somethign there that helps...
Jim,
tomcat31
Dabbler

Thanks for the info,
I have moved all of my site onto the CGI server and got it working for the time being while I redesign my website anyway.
As for installing PHPBB3 I've figured it out. When it comes to installing the software bit of the guide it suggests going to www.yourdomain.co.uk/forumlocation this doesn't work (as i said in my original post) you have to type www.yourdomain.co.uk/forumlocation/install/install.php and voilà it starts to install.
Cheers
Allen