cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

password protect home site

muffybean
Dabbler

password protect home site

I would like to password protect my home site but allow other links to be viewed password free.
eg: my home site www.username.f9.co.uk I want only people to access this via a password but if I put an extension: www.username.f9.co.uk/look at this.htm then that can be viewed password free.
Is this possible and how is it done please. Or should I be looking at the other way round. TIA
Huh
4 REPLIES 4
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: password protect home site

Yes it is possible with .htaccess Go on the Usergroup Forum for help, with .htaccess files.
[Edit]
Link to the page.

paulh
Rising Star

more specifically, the usertools .htaccess page
muffybean
Dabbler

I am having no luck with this. I created the first file .htaccess and produced this:
AuthUserFile /share/isp/force9/www/us/username/htdocs/myfolder/.htpasswd
AuthName "Please Log On"
AuthType Basic
require valid-user

Then I did the password thing in  http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/5 and with this created a single username, say superman and put in the password of secret
Then when I clicked on empty setting to generate the encrypted password I then copied and pasted this into the .htpasswd file.
Then uploaded via my ftp program into the folder (myfolder) I checked that the attributes were correct for both files and that they were 744. Having done that and saved everything when I went to the folder it quite rightly asked for the username and password I put in as above but I could not login.
Have I done something wrong. Have cross checked everything several times but same problem.
muffybean
Dabbler

OK guys found the problem I made the folder begin with a capital, Myfolder but in the code I put in lower case. After modifying the case all was well. Thanks for your help.