Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nominet's email about domain.uk

FIXED
glocal
Rising Star

nominet's email about domain.uk

As the owner of domain.co.uk, Nominet email me about my option to register domain.uk by 25 June. After that date domain.uk will be made available to the public for purchase. The registrar for domain.co.uk is PN who many years ago offered these free domains for life to subscribers as a gesture of goodwill following a major email server incident. Nominet says that PN is not able to support .uk registrations at this time. Does PN recommend a way to register those domain.uk, or is it just a case of finding a registrar?

9 REPLIES 9
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Re: nominet's email about domain.uk

Fix

Hi @glocal 

I'm afraid it is correct that we don't currently support .uk registrations and it's not something we can provide any recommendation towards.

With this in mind you would need to find your own registrar.

uncleadolph
Dabbler

I too received an email from Nominet yesterday evening; as I'd never heard of them before and it was unsolicited I was unsure about opening it in the first place. I have until 6am on Tuesday.

Quite frankly, being totally computer illiterate, I have absolutely no idea what to do but as my domain name is used as part of my email address and my family's I cannot afford to lose this. And I had no idea that this was in the offing; perhaps Plusnet could have warned? At any rate it would be appreciated if you could give some instruction as to what is required.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I have absolutely no idea what to do but as my domain name is used as part of my email address and my family's I cannot afford to lose this.

Your existing domain isn't affected, you will still continue to own and be able to use that. The email is regarding your right to claim an additional domain. If you already own mydomain.co.uk then you are entitled to claim mydomain.uk. If you do not wish to claim it then you don't need to do anything, mydomain.uk be released to the general public after the 25th June. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

uncleadolph
Dabbler

Thank you....can I just make sure I have this right?

The email from Nominet tells me I am the contact for the domain name "domain.me.uk". The right to the equivalent .uk domain "domain.uk" was reserved (news to me!) but I haven't taken it up. I have until Tuesday morning to do so.

So if I do nothing do I take it that my email addresses remain totally unaffected?

uncleadolph
Dabbler

What I can't understand here is that if I try to buy "domain.uk" it is apparently available to purchase and yet it is supposed to be reserved to me until Tuesday. This seems to make a nonsense of the email!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Thank you....can I just make sure I have this right?

The email from Nominet tells me I am the contact for the domain name "domain.me.uk". The right to the equivalent .uk domain "domain.uk" was reserved (news to me!) but I haven't taken it up. I have until Tuesday morning to do so.

So if I do nothing do I take it that my email addresses remain totally unaffected?

You are correct. As a .me.uk owner , the right is slightly more convoluted in that the .co.uk owner has the primary right. In addition it seems that some domain registration companies have pre-registered the .uk domains to 'hold' them where the .co.uk owner already has a domain registered with them.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

glocal
Rising Star

You are given the right of first refusal. Argos wouldn't want argos.uk to go to the wrong people.

njay
Grafter

How do we do exercise this right of registration with another registrar if Plusnet aren't able to register the shorter .uk version of a domain we have registered with Plusnet?

I have looked up on 123-reg for example and they say about pre-ordering on a 1st come, 1st served basis and that I will know if I am successful on or after 8th July. So this wouldn't be under the right of registration as I have with the domain name currently registered with Plusnet.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated given the Tuesday 6am deadline

kmilburn
Grafter

I've been looking into this today and most of the systems I've checked (123-reg was not one of them) have confirmed my .uk domain is reserved, but allow me to continue.

I've decided to go with one.com (so I can migrate my email to a system with a secure connection), unfortunately

The registration was declined by Nominet since the contact information provided is not identical to an existing .co.uk, .me.uk or .org.uk domain that holds the right-of-registration.

So PlusnNet Staff, how can I view and/or amend the registration details as 

The information should be 100% identical for both domains for the registration of *******.uk to be successful.

TIA