Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

more than one wordpress site HELP

fforchlas
Dabbler

more than one wordpress site HELP

hello,
i need to set up another wordpress site. does anyone have any tips or info before i start muddling my way through? is it terribly complicated?
bethan
14 REPLIES 14
Gabe
Grafter

Re: more than one wordpress site HELP

Hi Bethan,
Is that another site under the same domain or another site under a different domain? Either is possible.
Gabe
fforchlas
Dabbler

it would be a welsh version of the same site, so, same domain i would imagine. yes?
here is the english site http://ccgi.fforchlas.plus.com/wordpress/
thanks!
scubarew
Grafter

Might be worth investigating if there is a WordPress plugin that allows you to switch the site between languages (you'd need to write all the articles twice I suppose).
I've never used WordPress myself so I can't recommend anything specific but I know that other CMS's like Joomla have similar extensions to offer multilingual support.
Gabe
Grafter

Spot on. There's a plugin called xLanguage and a few similar. If those aren't up to scratch, you could create a network, using the subdirectory method, and duplicate the blog.
Gabe
Edit: typo
fforchlas
Dabbler

yes, shall explore the plugin route first. watch this space!
bethan
fforchlas
Dabbler

explored plugins route and they are not suitable.
so i have just installed wordpress network, and hit a problem. i think i entered a setting incorrectly this is what i put into my wp-config.php file
define( 'MULTISITE', true );
define( 'SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', false );
$base = '/~fforchlas/wordpress/';
define( 'DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'ccgi.fforchlas.plus.com' );
define( 'PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/~fforchlas/wordpress/' );
define( 'SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1 );
define( 'BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1 );
something is wrong in there as i can't log in - when trying to log into wordpress it is redirecting to somewhere that isn't correct.
can someone point out where i went wrong and what to change? this is the original wordpress site http://ccgi.fforchlas.plus.com/wordpress/
(i have reverted back to a single site for now)
bethan
Gabe
Grafter

No, my fault I think. I'd tested the network setup on a fresh install, but not when converting a pre-existing blog. I've just tested that and, if the blog already exists, the network setup forces you to use the subdomains method  ::), which won't work on ccgi (and I don't think it could be made to work). You would need to use the subdirectories method. If you don't fancy trying a fresh install (I've not tested restoring into a multiblog setup) then it may be easier to use the old-fashioned method, where each blog is a separate istall in a different directory and, for the single db method, you copy the wp-config file but change the $table_prefix.
Gabe
fforchlas
Dabbler

Gabe
Grafter

Bingo. Now I can't understand a word.  Wink Cymru am byth!
Looks like there's a slight config difference, as the Cymraeg version picks up /~fforchlas in its links. That can probably be cured if it bothers you.
Gabe
fforchlas
Dabbler

thanks, wasn't as hard as i thought it would be.
the ~fforchlas thing - is it easy to fix? if it is a faff, i'll leave it Smiley
Gabe
Grafter

It could be as simple as resetting the wordpress address and site address in the settings section of admin. If those fields contain a /~fforchlas, try removing it. The site will then boot you out to login and you'd need to delete everything in the url bar from the ? onwards to log back in again. The process is reversible. Similarly, if you decided to rename your folders something like eng and cym, that's where you'd set wordpress to use the new format.
Some plugins use variables that will generate the /~fforchlas rewrite even if wordpress itself doesn't. There's a slightly more complicated way of dealing with that, but I'm guessnig it's the wordpress config because your english version is behaving itself.
Gabe
pianopete

Afternoon all.
A similar query (also from Wales) - I have had a wordpress blog which I have had running for years and which I installed in /wordpress on the ccgi server.
  http://ccgi.philfam.co.uk/wordpress/
I also have a few file-based (hand crafted) web sites hosted on the file server such as:
  http://www.detox-jazz.co.uk/
I am keen to move all of my sites across to Wordpress so I use the same CMS across them all but clearly I would like to retain the same domains I am using.
I have a few questions:

1 - the wordpress docs say:
    "You cannot create a network in the following cases:
            * "WordPress address (URL)" is different from "Site address (URL)".
  Does this mean I can't do what I want ?
2 - What is the best way for me to set up wordpress so I can manage all my domains under separate wordpress sub-directories ?  I understand how the file-based domain stuff works (so that I can map www.detox-jazz.co.uk to the /detox subdirectory on the server), but assume that there will be a requirement to craft a .htaccess file or similar to set up redirects ? (so that for example www.detox-jazz.co.uk redirects to ccgi.philfam.co.uk/wordpress/detox (
3 - I have seen a number of warnings regarding the multi network mode (?) which says that permalinks will die etc.  Is there any solution to this ? Some of my blog posts are linked to from other sites and I'd rather not break them.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance
Pete
Gabe
Grafter

Hi Pete,
It's not something I've tested, so I can't be sure. The bit about the network not working if the WP address is different from the site address relates to, e.g., the WP way of giving WP its own directory but requesting without needing the directory in the url. That's not what you do at the mo.
You might get somewhere with the WP MU domain mapping plugin, as recommended here, but note the subdomains method will not work on ccgi, only the subdirectories method and I'm not sure whether the plugin works in that circumstance or if the main address includes a subdirectory. You could experiment with a second WP install.
Alternatively, you could use the method mentioned in reply 7 and use a .htaccess rewrite, as per the post linked from section 8 of the faq, then change the WP address and site address to http://www.detox-jazz.co.uk.
Should be possible one way or another.
Gabe
Diddley

Quote from: Gabe
No, my fault I think. I'd tested the network setup on a fresh install, but not when converting a pre-existing blog. I've just tested that and, if the blog already exists, the network setup forces you to use the subdomains method  ::), which won't work on ccgi (and I don't think it could be made to work). You would need to use the subdirectories method. If you don't fancy trying a fresh install (I've not tested restoring into a multiblog setup) then it may be easier to use the old-fashioned method, where each blog is a separate istall in a different directory and, for the single db method, you copy the wp-config file but change the $table_prefix.
Gabe

Is there no way to do subdomains on the ccgi platform? I know the platform doesn't support wildcard subdomains, but is there some way to explicitly create subdomains for multiple wordpress sites?
I have several urls that I'd like to point to a.mydomian.plus.com, b.mydomain.plus.com etc using CNAME DNS entries. As far as I'm aware, you can't point domains to subdirectories.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.