cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

more than one site?

timbaker

more than one site?

HI, is it possible to host more than one site on my plus net web space?
I have hardly used any of my allowance and wanted to try two sites to see which style worked best.
  I have 2 domain names so could give different adresses?
Please help
Cheers
6 REPLIES 6
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: more than one site?

think I have four
Gabe
Grafter

Perhaps the simplest way to test would be to put sites in different folders and include the folder name in the browser request, but if you want domain1 to point at folder1 and domain2 to point at folder2 then you can do that with a combination of dns control and a .htaccess file in your web root. Are we talking homepages or ccgi?
Gabe
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You can point each domain to a different sub-folder through the Member Centre.
Gabe
Grafter

Quite right. I really should have included that. I think first of using .htaccess because it works for both homepages and ccgi (and the www.username.plus.com address) and is instant, but changing the default directory under domain names is definitely simpler.
Gabe
TopFuelBob

I have been trying to achieve a similar thing.
I have two domains, and intended to use two sub folders in my CCGI space with each domain pointing to one of these sub folders.
Each domain is for a completely different website, one Joomla and one Wordpress.
However, PN say I can't do this as you can't point two domains to the CCGI server.
So, could I have two sub folders in under the htdocs folder on the homepages server, with my domains pointing to them.
Then, in each sub folder, have a redirect to the relevant sub folder on the CCGI server?
Or is there a better way of doing this?
Gabe
Grafter

Unless the rules have changed, you can point multiple domains at ccgi.
Assuming all is as was, you need to manage your domains, pointing A records for domain and relevant subdomains at ccgi:
yourdomain.co.uk.      a  84.92.1.4
www.yourdomain.co.uk. ;     a  84.92.1.4
remembering the dot after the domain. (or 84.92.1.5 if force9).
Then raise a ticket to make sure they get mapped on ccgi. I think when the new platform was set up, the domain and www and ccgi subdomains were mapped automatically for managed domains, but I'm guessing that you still need to raise a ticket for new additions - perhaps PN can confirm or deny.
It can take a while for DNS changes to propagate.
Then you need to use .htaccess to rewrite requests for each domain to the right folder. You'll find a recipe in a post linked from point 8 of the faq.
(If I've forgotten something, please excuse, I'm rushing.)
Gabe