Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mod-rewrite on plusnet cgi server

TonyN
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

mod-rewrite on plusnet cgi server

Can anyone tell me if mod-rewrite runs on the PlusNet cgi server? I've tried emailing support but, believe it or not, they say that they don't know and I should ask here.
The problem is that I am truing to get Live Comment Preview to work on a Wordpress blog and lack of mod-rewrite could be the problem.
Many thanks for any help
TonyN
7 REPLIES 7
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: mod-rewrite on plusnet cgi server

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=46470.0
You may also find this link to a new forum search which is being tested useful:
Linky
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
TonyN
Rising Star

Very many thanks Jelv, but I still can't get it to work. I've tried uploading a .htaccess with just the line 'RewriteEngine on' in it but it makes no difference.
Live Comment Preview 1.7 works fine on my own machine where  Wordpress is set up in XAMPP lite but no joy with this, or any other version, on the cgi server. The idea about it being a mod-rewrite problem came from here:
http://www.designmeme.com/2006/04/19/live-comment-preview-wordpress-and-dreamhost/
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Just having RewriteEngine on in the .htaccess file will do nothing because you don't have any mod rewrite commands following it.
What exactly are you trying to do?
Also I though wordpress (or the plugin you are trying to use) should create whatever .htaccess / mod rewrite files as required.
[append]
Just read the link you gave... PlusNet runs PHP in CGI mode and not as an apache module so you will need mod rewrite. Unfortunately the page does not actually tell you what you need which does not actually help you or anyone else in the same position.
TonyN
Rising Star

Peter: thanks for your interest, but all I'm trying to do is get this very neat plugin to work.
I've checked that the PHP file is in the right place, activated and with adequate permissions (755, but I've also tried 777 briefly just in case). The Wordpress installation on the server is identical to the one on my machine where it works fine with XAMPP. The version of Live Comment Preview is the same, 1.7 which the support forums at Wordpress suggest is reliable although later versions (1.8+) are buggy. Unfortunately I have very limited experince of servers other than HTML websites with very basic Perl scripts.
Any suggestion as to where I should go to get educated would be a great help as I really would like t get this running.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

It has nothing to do with file permissions but how the URL is processed by Apache.
XAMPP runs PHP as an Apache module hence why it works. PN uses PHP in CGI mode (outside Apache) which is why, according to the article you linked to, a mod rewite is needed for the URL to be processed correctly.
You may want to try googling for another website which gives an example of how to do it, or you could post a question on the page you linked, asking for someone to post the necessary .htaccess code.
You could also try asking on the wordpress plugins forum.
TonyN
Rising Star

Very many thanks for the explanation Peter. I'll pick it up from there and see what I can find out. Sorry about the slow response - New Year and all that.
deepee

Sorry I can't help directly. I'm attempting ascent of various learning curves myself...
This link to mod-rewrite might be useful. I understood most of it.
http://www.workingwith.me.uk/articles/scripting/mod_rewrite
and I think Wikipedia had one or two other links on the 'Rewrite Engine' page. If you can work out what mod_rewrite is expected to be doing, maybe you can do the same by different means.