Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is NetAnnounce broken (?)

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

is NetAnnounce broken (?)

Realised this morning that there had been no sign-ups for the site Newsletter for ten days (usually there are sign-ups fairly regularly) and did a test sign-up.
The click just diverted to an F9 page with a very long address, tried again and the same thing happened (and same page address).
Then checked the NetAnnounce contact manager, and sure enough showing no new sign-ups since 7th January 2012.
I'm aware I could just "raise a ticket" but thought I'd ask here first, if anyone else using NetAnnounce has experienced anything similar.
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
10 REPLIES 10
Gabe
Grafter

Re: is NetAnnounce broken (?)

I don't use netannounce, but a test subscribe on your site gives me a blank page. Assuming that's not expected, it looks broken. I wonder if .php3 has lost its handler, or if it's something else.
Gabe
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Gabe
a test subscribe on your site gives me a blank page. Assuming that's not expected, it looks broken.

Thanks Gabe Smiley  and yes, the link would usually divert to a page on the site here, relating to the sign-up
Quote from: Gabe
I wonder if .php3 has lost its handler, or if it's something else.

No idea 😕  though I wonder what might have happened on 7th Jan, to stop things working as previously.  II'll raise a ticket and hopefully it will get fixed fairly soon.
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
whelpton
Grafter

Do you have any other .php3 files and are they still working correctly?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm asking someone here to do some testing on their account's netannounce to see if it's a widespread issue.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Keith
Do you have any other .php3 files and are they still working correctly?

.... not sure 😕  but the NetAnnounce files (all part of the main NetStart hosting account I think) are all at "your end" - what's on the site pages here is just the provided code for people to subscribe, after which they (previously) got diverted (somehow, from the click-through) to a page on the site here that acknowledged the sign-up.
Quote from: Chris
I'm asking someone here to do some testing on their account's netannounce to see if it's a widespread issue.

Thanks Chris, appreciated Smiley  I did think initially that it might be a general NetAnnounce problem, rather than confined to just here.  I've raised a ticket, anyway (last night) # 51086378 .
Regards,
Penny.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

OK, replicated the whitescreen from here so I'm raising a problem now.
(raised internally as problem 69959)
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Chris
(raised internally as problem 69959)

thanks Chris Smiley
My ticket just says "It may take some time to investigate and resolve due to being raised as an issue that is going to require some development work."
Do you have any idea what sort of timeframe we might be looking at?

Regards,
Penny.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Penny,
I'm afraid it's not really something we can put a timescale to, sorry about that. Do you know if there's anyone else affected by this?
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Matt
Do you know if there's anyone else affected by this?

Sorry Matt, have no way of knowing if anyone else's Net Announce is broken (though as it's probably a Legacy product [?] then perhaps not many people are still using it now, maybe).
Regards,
Penny.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Matt
I'm afraid it's not really something we can put a timescale to, sorry about that.

... NetAnnounce has been out (here, anyway) since 7th January 2012.  I get very polite ticket updates every week or two, but nothing has happened, and it's sort-of-registered that (probably) nothing's going to.
... meanwhile I assume the site has been losing its potential sign-ups over a very long period, now.  Just tried the 'subscribe' button and it took me (as when all this started) to a http://portal.plus.net/office/netannounce/remote_scripts/script_add_contact.php3?..... page which was totally blank.
*some* sort of action on this would be appreciated, if possible.

Regards,
Penny.