cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

idiot's guide & basic help needed...

stewarta13wsb
Grafter

idiot's guide & basic help needed...

Can somebody point me to a simple 'how to' guide that would let me know how to transfer (if you can) a very simple web page I set up for a friend on PlusNet, to a new domain page/name that she has just bought (not from PlusNet though)
Please keep it very simple or you'll never be rid of me on here asking further questions  Roll_eyes
7 REPLIES 7
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: idiot's guide & basic help needed...

The simple answer is to download the files to your computer, then upload them to the new site, if you have not got them on your computer!
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Just had a quick look at the info she sent me and there is no obvious way to upload anything? I've got the password etc., but that just takes me to an account / details update page.
It's with Nominet if that makes any difference?
paulh
Rising Star

surely you need to be asking this question of the new provider?
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Absolutely! But.... I thought all I had to do was enter the new name into PlusNet somehow  Embarrassed I did say I was new to this... I thought the new name was just transferred to my PlusNet page sorry!
And what is she's just bought the 'name' - can it be hosted on her PlusNet account?
SB
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: stewarta13wsb
a very simple web page I set up

From that it would be reasonable to assume you know what the files are and how you uploaded them, therefore you can "get them back" (or may still have them) to transfer elsewhere.
So are you asking something other than the responses so far are assuming? Expand a bit please....
itsme
Grafter

You need to request PN to host the domain, info here You need hosting only. Note that when this happen PN control the DNS so if your friend use this domain for emails the DNS records will have to be changed. DNS management can be found here item 2 is how you manage multiple websites by specifying a different folder for each website.
To setup the website read:
http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/31
http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/14

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: stewarta13wsb
she's just bought the 'name'

Who from?
(they may be able to host it as well and very cheaply)