cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

huge number of hits from one location

Tony_W
Grafter

huge number of hits from one location

According to my webstats, I had 216505 hits (11 files) in one visit from an IP address in the range owned by BSkyB .
The hits started at 8pm last night and went right up to the midnight monitoring limit for yesterdays stats. They were shown as direct requests.
I am wondering if it is some sort of DoS attack, or whether someone is after my password.
Any suggestions would be welcome - I am hoping that they gave up shortly after midnight, or I could well be over my download limit today. I only found out about the large number of hits when the webstats were generated today.
I have now added the address to the 'deny from' in .htaccess, but with sky I believe that their IP addresses are dynamic.
Tony
[Edit] Looking at the raw logs, it looks like they (or their browser) were trying to get a file from my site that did not exist. There were 7 or 8 attempts every second up until the midnight cut-off. It may be an innocent malfunction.
4 REPLIES 4
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: hugh number of hits from one location

It could be one of many things, I'd only be that concerned if this does continue to happen on a regular basis.
Keep us posted if you see this happening again.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Tony_W
Grafter

Thanks Adam.
I won't know whether it is continuing today until I get the webstats in tomorrow morning.
Tony
Tony_W
Grafter

They must have turned off their computer just after midnight as the 7 hits per second stopped then. I have returned the .htaccess file to its original state.
Fingers crossed that it does not happen again....
Tony
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Fingers crossed that it does not happen again....

Same goes, just give us a shout if it does become a concern and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team