Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.htaccess

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

.htaccess

This is an odd one
In my Plusnet site (not ccgi) I can view the files in a folder where there isn't an index file.
I seem to remember that this is done via the .htaccess file but using FireFTP with show hidden files ticked I can't see it
The reason for this question is that creating a new folder in my 1&1 hosted site produces a folder with the following error on trying to access it but I can access the files inside it
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /ramblers/ on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
5 REPLIES 5
Gabe
Grafter

Re: .htaccess

I'm not clear if you want to stop viewing files on homepages or start viewing files on 1&1. The new folder on the 1&1 site is presumably missing its read permission for the web server. If you tick all the read permissions, you should be able to view the files on 1&1. Alternatively, untick the read permission for "other" on homepages to stop viewing files. Or add a .htaccess file with the line
IndexIgnore *

to htdocs to avoid triggering the error.
Gabe
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Regarding permissions this is what they are and I can't see why I can't view the list of files in the folder
The idea being that you can go to the folder select and download the file you need
Gabe
Grafter

If not permissions, may need to add indexing. There may be a box to tick for indexes in your panel, or you can try adding
Options +Indexes

to your .htaccess
Gabe
Edit: just found it in the 1&1 FAQ.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Thanks Gabe but I think I will leave well alone as I don't want to risk mucking up my wife's website  Shocked Shocked as she would kill me Sad
The only reason I used her website instead of mine was that 1&1 have an unlimited download limit whereas we all know how miserable the Plusnet limits are and I needed to make a 280MB zip file available for download - most unusual for me
I saw your edit and yes that would do it - I didn't realise that you could have  htaccess files specific to a folder - just going to have a play
and it works - thank you very much  Grin Grin
Gabe
Grafter

That's a relief. I hadn't appreciated the risk you were running  Wink
Gabe