Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help re domain name registration

jamessealey
Grafter

help re domain name registration

Hi Guys
Thought it was finally about time i made use of my plusnet webspace, however have a couple of questions:
I've noticed the domain name for £1 a month option in my 'Member Centre'. I'm assuming that will forward to my webspace and keep users from seeing the real address ie www.mydomain.co.uk will mask www.username.plus.com
Also, how will this handle email? Does it offer forwarding so I would be able to setup: user1@mydomain.co.uk to forward to user1srealemail@isp.com, or does it have to point at a plus net email?
My other option is to register a domain with someone like 123Reg, but will I still get the same functionality?
James
3 REPLIES 3
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: help re domain name registration

Taking up the £1 a month option is not a good idea when it is much cheaper elsewhere. You can register a domain at 123Reg and it will only cost you £5.98 for two years (me.uk or co.uk). Once registered you can change the name servers at 123Reg to point to your Plusnet webspace and then raise a ticket for Plusnet to host it for you. 123Reg will continue to administer it for you with Plusnet hosting it (for free on many accounts). You will get the same functionality as taking the £1 a month option but at much less cost.
Take at look at
http://www.plus.net/support/domains_and_dns/hosting/domainin.shtml
and look at the section for 'Hosting Only' for how to change the name servers and raise a ticket for hosting.
The number of free hosted domains you can have is determined by your account:
http://www.plus.net/support/domains_and_dns/hosting/hosting_allowances.shtml
When it comes to email, all emails sent to user@mydomain.co.uk OR user@username.plus.com will be received into the same mailbox.

jamessealey
Grafter

Thanks for this Ruslyn, it has helped me understand the difference betweeb 'hosting' and 'administering'. (sp?)
Thanks for that link as well, has helped me make my decision to find a competitive company (and one that isnt plusnet - in case i wanted to leave) to administer my domain, and then get Plusnet to host it for me.
I'm pretty sure I understand the functionality of it so i'm gonna go ahead and get something ordered.
I'll be back if I get stuck!
Thanks again
James
decomplexity
Rising Star

Hmm...
I have suggested several times to PN that to avoid confusion domain name Transfer In should have more than one button, e.g. check boxes to
a.  change registrar (registration agent) to PN
b.  take over provision of the (authoritative) DNS zone file [perhaps worded a little differently!]
c.  provide webspace, email and related services
Normal selections would be either 'a + b + c' or 'b+c' (if you ask PN for b you get c as well*), but selecting a particular combination would give PN's dialogue the chance to respond  to the user with a description of the consequences of what they had selected (followed by a Confirm or Abort) - including the differences in the registrar transfer process between Nominet and other non-Nominet names.  Judging by the number of posts in IT discussion forums relating to simple problems in domain name managment, it is a black art to an awful lot of people.
* - but I might, for example, want my domain's zone file to include A and/or MX records pointing to other non-PN servers
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017