Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help installing wordpress!

fforchlas
Dabbler

help installing wordpress!

hi there.....
i've been struggling to install wordpress. i have so far enabled sql and cgi. i have uploaded wordpress to cgi space. and i also uploaded the script reccommended to install permissions to run the install... as mentioned in other posts on here.... now, i think this is where i have gone wrong, as when i try the  wordpress install file i get this :
Server error!
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.
Error message:
Premature end of script headers: install.php
If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 500
ccgi.fforchlas.plus.com
Tue Mar 23 00:23:19 2010
Apache

can someone please help?
thank you!
9 REPLIES 9
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: help installing wordpress!

The first thing to check is that you've changed the config filename from wp-config-sample.php to wp-config.php
Then follow the information given here by Gabe to set the correct permissions: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,84349.0.html
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
fforchlas
Dabbler

hi there,
yes, i have changed the config filename and tried to follow the instructions to set correct permissions as per the instructions, i'm using fetch as my ftp thingy and using a mac.... i set permissions to 700 for the whole wordpress folder.... now i get Access forbidden!
You don't have permission to access the requested object. It is either read-protected or not readable by the server.
Error 403
ccgi.fforchlas.plus.com
Tue Mar 23 22:09:36 2010
Apache
help!
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Hi there,
For folders you need to set the permissions to 710, not 700, apart from your home directory which should be 1750. Gabe posted a script in here that will set the permissions correctly for you.
fforchlas
Dabbler

thanks for this help!
i copied the script gabe posted and called it setperms.cgi, here http://ccgi.fforchlas.plus.com/setperms.cgi
however, when i try to call it with the web browser i get this error message :
Server error!
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.
Error message:
Premature end of script headers: setperms.cgi
Error 500
ccgi.fforchlas.plus.com
Wed Mar 24 21:30:45 2010
Apache
i know i am a beginner in all this, but all i want is to use wordpress! argh!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think you need to change the filename to setperms.php, then make sure its permissions are set to 0700.
David
Edit: Correction. The suggestion above depends on which setperms.xxx file you are using. There was an older 'php' version which required the xxx extension to be php. The newer version here is a bash script and xxx must be cgi.
David
fforchlas
Dabbler

that is done now, and it looks like it runs a type of script when i put it into the web browser. but now when i try and launce wordpress install.php it says i don't have the permission to do so - and i thought that the script i just ran would sort that out?!!
help!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

When you ran setperms.php did you get a list of file and folder names with the permissions set for each one?
What permissions did it set for the wp-admin folder and install.php within it?
David
David
Gabe
Grafter

The setperms script needs a .cgi extension. (There was a similar script for the old server, which was a PHP script.) Its own permissions do need to be set to 700 and when you run it in your browser there should be a pause followed by a large table of files and folders.
Slight concern is how much you changed to 700 with Fetch. The last version of Fetch I saw didn't recurse permissions into folders, so setting permissions on the wordpress folder wouldn't affect its contents, but if everything in the folder and all its subfolders was in fact set to 700 then that would cause problems with serving images, etc. The setperms script won't set them back to 640, which static (non-script) content needs. Check  if everything in /wordpress was set to 700 and, if it was, then probably the easiest thing to do would be to delete that upload and upload it again, then run the setperms script. If it wasn't, just run setperms.cgi.
After that it gets easier.  Smiley
Gabe
fforchlas
Dabbler

OMG it worked!!! why is it so complicated though?! but at least i can see the wordpress page now. can the fun start now please?!
thank you everyone!
bethan Smiley