cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

forbidden 403

stewarta13wsb
Grafter

forbidden 403

Many moons ago I made my first web page (http://www.stewarta13wsb.plus.com) using the old free program (NVU) that came with the pre firefox browser (can't remember the name now) but with a change in settings (back to XP) it still works with Windows 7!
I have a page on google sites too which also worked, but I'm trying to make one using a bought domain name on servage.net but although I've made the page and uploaded it on ftp via Internet Explorer I now get this message -
403 Forbidden
You are not allowed to access this page. Possible problems:
    Missing index file
    Misconfigured mod_rewrite settings in .htaccess
    Authentication Failure
Any thoughts?
Stewart
    Incorrect file or folder permissions
17 REPLIES 17
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: forbidden 403

You need to go to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=domainv2&?membermenu=domainnames
is the domain there
If it is Click on Configure and add the directory you want it to put it in
If it isn't you will need to add it using the Transfer in button - I am assuming that the product you are on allows hosting extra domains at no cost - I was on PAYG which gave up to 5 extra domains but I don't know if I still have that capability having moved to Extra
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Assuming you mean your new site is hosted on servage.net servers are you sure you've FTPed it to the correct directory? Does the site have an index.htm (or equivalent) in lower case letters? Otherwise the problem could be any of the things you mentioned, especially the one on the last line of your post. Another possibility is uploading all files as binary - the text ones need to be transferred as ASCII. Usually an FTP setting of auto would handle that correctly.
Do servage.net have a help desk you could ring?
David
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

I should have mentioned - I'm pretty new and thoroughly useless at this. My previous attempts have been really simple by comparison and spraxyt although I thank you for your reply it's over my head Sad
I've attached a list of what I've added via the FTP... if it's any help?
Every time I rename the index file it puts it back to a capital, i.e. Index?Huh
I have no idea what the top two directories are - when I click on then I just get the same page again?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

You haven't said where you are hosting this website i.e. are you uploading to plusnets web servers or some other hosting system?
Also I hope you are not using all those images on your index page... I would not like to download 35 Megabytes worth of data just to see your web page, you need to find a graphics package that can reduce the size of those images to something a LOT smaller.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Embarrassed  Embarrassed  Embarrassed it's hosted on servage.net and yes, I only have one page so far... it's a long one and they are all on the one page  Embarrassed  Embarrassed  Embarrassed
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Thanks for clarifying that your website is externally hosted. In this case I suspect the cause of the 403 Forbidden error is the first one listed, "Missing index file" - the server will be looking for one containing all lower case letters but yours is presently stuck with an initial capital letter.
To check this, browse to http:// ... your servage.net website ... /Index.html (with a capital I) and I expect the page will display - but take some time to load due to the image sizes.
How did you FTP your files to the server? It looks like you might be using Internet/Windows Explorer - which is probably what is causing the problem with the capital letter - Windows appears to capitalise the first letter of any filename.
If you have used Internet Explorer I suggest changing to an independent FTP program such as FileZilla (Client version). There's a guide to using that in the Community Support Library here but note that is written for Plusnet webspace - site location information will be different for you.
David
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Thanks a million guys for taking the time to reply.
Yes I used IE to load the files.
But here's the thing... when I signed in today http://www.glencoecafe.co.uk it's working  Shocked
I haven't changed anything?? It's just there now - but with all new problems - do I start a new thread or ask here?
I'll ask here and I can get moved if necessary -
On Firefox and on my PC it looks fine. On my Android phone.. not so good. But using Google, on a laptop this morning, it was awful with spacing all wrong etc!
Where do I go from here?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I've just looked at the site too, it's kinda sluggish due to the large images on it, it might be worth as Peter Vaughan said reducing the file size of the images so it runs a little more smoothly. For people with lower connection speeds it would take a very long time to load. I've just loaded the site up on my PC and it looks fine but I think it's probably more to do with the screen size as well as browser compatibility.
When I make a website, I'd test it on Google Chrome, check it in Firefox and then lastly Internet Explorer.
From here, I'd look at possibly cutting the width of your site down a little so it doesn't go all the way across the page so it will fit nicely for different screen sizes and it may help with the browser compatibility a little too. There is code out there that can help ensure that your website is browser safe across Chrome, Firefox and IE.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Thanks Chris, so last question then, using NVU, how do I make the page narrower (it must just have made a standard width on it's own) and do I just use something like Adobe or Paint to shrink the image size or reduce the quality?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Images Sizes
For example, the sheer size of the 'Jam Image'  - On your server it's called IMAG0058 has the dimensions of: 2117x1802, you can reduce this in Adobe Photoshop, as I've done one for you attached to this response (Just as an example). Smiley

Page Width
To be honest, the page is probably only as wide as it is due to the large sized pictures that are on it. If you are able to resize all the images (apart from the one at the top of the page), you'll probably find that the page will end up being narrower as a result.
I've never used NVU personally, but if you need any more help, feel free to let me know and I'll take a look for you. If you get really stuck, I'll even have a quick go myself and see what I can come up with!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

To reduce the image size I recommend Faststone Image Viewer http://www.faststone.org/
Also removing the metadata will take another chunk off
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

How kind Chris, many thanks. All re-sized (although I ended up with Paint as changes in Photoshop Elements didn't seem to work - in fact they made the file size bigger whatever I was doing wrong  :-[)
But does it look OK & load faster now?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It doesn't appear to have changed the file and image sizes on your website. Have you uploaded them again onto your site?
In Photoshop CS3 that I have to resize the images I go to:
Image >> Image Size
Ant then select the size I would like the images.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Yes, filezilla all shows much smaller file sizes?