cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

files uploaded to htdocs - only files visible!

westdesign777

files uploaded to htdocs - only files visible!

Hi and Happy New Year!  Smiley
I uploaded my site and was then greeted with index/ and a list of my files.... but no beautiful site... I have made a basic error but what!?... Undecided  
I designed the site the MAMP/MySQL server on my machine and have uploaded to my Plusnet webspace - its all there but no pretty site...
Thanks
13 REPLIES 13
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Elementary Upload Fail (on my part!)!

not sure but your root should have index.html which runs and does the business,  all the files and other .html can be in a sub directory (perhaps its all gone west  🐵
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

did you upload it to the htdocs folder in your webspace
westdesign777

Thankyou for your replies!  Cheesy
My files are all .php so my main file in the htdocs folder is index.php (and I uploaded to the htdocs folder in the first place). The files are all there but no site - a communication issue between the files.
Its something simple - I've just looked at the remote folder and its named  -  /htdocs/    -  is this correct?  Crazy  I love this dude!
Not sure about going west pierre_pierre but may have something to do with my user name! I want to go north to victory - thats no mean feat with my brain-cells I can tell you! (What brain cells I hear you cry!)
I have two attachments that hopefully help... elementary... but not sure what to do!  Undecided
Thanks!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I think - my knowledge is just about nil so I am probably wrong - that a php file needs to be loaded to the cgi webspace not the normal Plusnet webspace
http://www.plus.net/support/webspace/cgi_php/beginners_guide_php.shtml
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I was thinking the Same Jim, but being old I stick to HTML.  mine file structure looks like this, and it was always said the the first file is index.html
mal0z
Grafter

I don't use cgi - but on a normal Apache/php server
I have an .htaccess file in the root which has redirects

# set redirect to php pages
Redirect 301 /index.htm http://www.example.org.uk/index.php ;
Does a CGI site need something similar ?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

another problem is that the current PHP server is old, the newer PHP 5 is due to go live soon may be the more knowledgeable will wake up tomorrow
westdesign777

This is all very interesting chaps.... I have also read that CGI is being phased out (or is phased out!) as of April 2009!!?  Or is that something else!?
I say this because I have just looked at Ian Wilds post - 'New Web Posting Preview  - at the top of the list which seems to clarify some new things going down with CGI and I need to check it out in detail... oh boy... the quickest route for me could be the ol 'dog-and-bone' (er...phone) as it looks like a can of worms man! But from what Ian says perhaps a friendly can of worms...  Cool .......mmm... I have another site hosted by PAYH and that has an index.php which works no problem.... Plusnet seem to be working closely with the PAYH guys - the same company, in the same building!! - which does make sense. This I would have thought would automatically pick-up the .php and do the business.. that is obviously an incorrect assumption!
I'll try and change the main file to httpdocs as mentioned by my friend Ian!  :P... here we go!... or wait til Monday..... mmmmm.... that'll be no fun!
Thanks for all the input guys!  Cry
Sorry, I mean... Smiley
mal0z
Grafter

That is probably an old post of Ian's as he left PN many months ago.
Yes the CGI issue has been confusing, but AFAIK - it is not being turned off.
I much prefer the PAYH platform .
But you may attract some knowledgible people if you change the title to something more descriptive of the problem
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: files uploaded to htdocs - only files visible!

As inferred earlier PHP code will not execute on normal webspace, it has to be on the ccgi server which needs to be activated separately.
The ccgi server (with PHP 4.3.10) remains operational at present though a shiny new one (with PHP 5.2.6) should become available for customer preview testing this month. Timescales for the new server replacing the old depend on feedback received as a result of customer testing.
David
westdesign777

Excellent advice from everyone and very accurate. Great to know you are 'out-there'. Thanks very much! Smiley
I had to (for the sake of testing) change my files to HTML as advised in order to be 'seen' - a good learning curve - I am green at al this but ccgi is the next step on my adventure and the wonders that are databases and MySQL... most probably going to use Plesk/PAYH as they are similar - as malOz said the PAYH platform is probably better.  Tongue
Thanks for all your assitance!
mal0z
Grafter

The advantage as I see it of using the PAYG option - is that platform has Apache Server/php/MySQL - and all files can be in the same place, such as htm and php.
No need to mess about with CGI /.
But in fact my sites files have practically all .php suffixes for simplicity
Gabe
Grafter

.html and .php files can be in the same folder on ccgi and the new platform will make things even simpler.
Gabe