Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fibre only and existing landline

FIXED
keeka
Grafter

fibre only and existing landline

When the switch(off) occurs and I lose my existing landline, what do I need to do to keep my existing landline number and provision it over voip? I'd be grateful if someone can point me to any FAQs/HowTos and espcecially plusnet specific info.

I currently use the BT VDSL moden and pfSense router. I'm totallyu clueless about VOIP and, as I understand it, the imminent switch off of analogue lines.

Many thanks.

18 REPLIES 18
Baldrick1
Fixes: 422

Re: fibre only and existing landline

Moderator's note:
Thread moved from Full Fibre to Everything Else 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 53

@keeka 

Prior to the FTTP install you need to research VOIP and decide which provider you wish to use. A&A seem to have reputation and deals plus good FAQ's on the subject. There are others to choose from.

https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/

Some providers let you set an account up in advance but you do not "port" the number until after the install. The number itself goes into quarentine for 30 days to allow for this.

With A&A the port will probably fail on the first attempt as their system can't handle "ceased" lines. Other providers may suffer the same problem. If this happens you need to get your chosen provider's Support to phone and arrange a manual port.

You also need to check if your phone works on VOIP. You may need to buy an Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA) or use the providers equipment.

There will probably be a few days down time on the phone service.

Brian

bmc
Hero

@keeka 

Sorry - got confused with an FTTP install. However, the advice remains the same - rather than a date of install you have a date of transfer when you lose the landline.

You can probably jump when you're ready and not wait for a PN cease of service notice.

Note that VOIP doesn't work during power cuts.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 425

and, as I understand it, the imminent switch off of analogue lines.

@keeka the analogue phone service is not being switched off (by Openreach) until late 2025.

Some Communication providers(CP) are moving their customers to a Digital voice(voip) product before then but providing you are not changing product or moving house, then it is still possible to retain your existing phone service until the 2025 switchoff

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

keeka
Grafter

Thanks @bmc for explanation and advice. I will start researching.

@MisterW, late 2025 is imminent in my book! I wondered if Plusnet offered VOIP services and a route to transferring the existing landline number over.

I have an elderly relative who I believe was converted to voip recently by BT. They installed some new hardware, as well as handsets, and she kept her existing number. I formed the impression it was part of some general migration since I'm inclined to think she would not have requested it per se.

Thanks again all for the info.

EDIT: one other question, does/can VOIP work independently of the router/PPPoE connection?

Or is it just regular traffic.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I formed the impression it was part of some general migration since I'm inclined to think she would not have requested it per se.

It is as far as BT Retail customers are concerned. Plusnet have decided not to go down that route, rather they will offer a broadband only product. So if you wish to stay with PN and have a VoIP service , you will have to procure that through a separate VoIP supplier

EDIT: one other question, does/can VOIP work independently of the router/PPPoE connection?

Or is it just regular traffic.

VoIP requires an internet connection to work, in essence is just regular traffic (albeit a different protocol to web browsing or email ).

So. Yes you need a router to make the pppoe connection for it to work over.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

keeka
Grafter

Thanks for clarifying things. It's cleared up most of my confusion. I was aware VoIP required a network connection but I wondered if it might/could operate over, say, a another vlan on the same physical WAN link and therefore independently of the router.

So, it seems like I will be able to use my existing Panasonic DECT phones (1 base station/answer machine/handset and 2 slave handsets). I presume I plug the base set in to an ATA and both base station phone and slaves will operate as they did on POTS. i.e. answer machine, caller ID will continue to work. Blocked caller list is AFAIR the only other feature I use. Would that still be confugrable to some extent via the handset (e.g. add last number to blocklist)? Or would all that be administered via, say, the providers web-based portal?

keeka
Grafter

One other thing. When analogue landlines cease in 2025, what will Plusnet charging model be for those still on FTTC?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

So, it seems like I will be able to use my existing Panasonic DECT phones (1 base station/answer machine/handset and 2 slave handsets). I presume I plug the base set in to an ATA and both base station phone and slaves will operate as they did on POTS. i.e. answer machine, caller ID will continue to work. Blocked caller list is AFAIR the only other feature I use. Would that still be confugrable to some extent via the handset (e.g. add last number to blocklist)?

if you use the existing handsets via an ATA , then yes , all the handset facilities will still work.

Or would all that be administered via, say, the providers web-based portal?

most VoIP providers will provide call blocking, voicemail and redirection on their portal. Call blocking could be in addition to the handset functionality but voicemail would be handled by the one with the shortest timeout ! VoIP providers usually have a facility to notify and hear voicemails by email which I find very useful

keeka
Grafter

Many thanks @MisterW 

I now have a much better idea of where I'm headed. Assuming I get a reasonable deal when my contract rolls over later this year, I will stick with PN and sort out a third party VoIP provider.

@bmc Thanks, the A&A pages do have some very helpful info.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

A & A support is second to none. I use them for VoIP in the office. The only reason I don't use them at home is that I was fortunate to get a Sipgate account some years ago, when there.was no monthly fee for an incoming number. Should they ever change that , I'll be moving to A & A

bmc
Hero

@keeka wrote:

One other thing. When analogue landlines cease in 2025, what will Plusnet charging model be for those still on FTTC?

When PSTN  is switched off all non FTTP  (FTTC / ADSL) lines will be on / transferred to accounts on a digital only line. This is already happening (see SOGEA / SOADSL ) so PN pricing is already in operation (only slightly cheaper as the cost is in the providing the line, not the phone service).

Brian

keeka
Grafter

Can I port my existing landline number (i.e. that which is associated with my current PN FTTC fibre product) to a third party voip provider and keep my current braodband product? I am guessing not.

Also, I may just experiment with an ATA and whatever number I'm allocated. Then, when the time comes and my landline ceases, I will hopefully be in a position to port that landline number as painlessly as possible.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Can I port my existing landline number (i.e. that which is associated with my current PN FTTC fibre product) to a third party voip provider and keep my current braodband product? I am guessing not.

You' re guessing correct. Porting will cease the landline and broadband