cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dyndns.org help please

launton
Grafter

dyndns.org help please

Can someone please answer a query for me?  For the best part of 3 years I've used dyndns.org to watch the webcam at home (I had a fire whilst out once) out on my mobile with IP camera pro and it's been fine.  About 6 weeks ago the feed didn't work for some reason and logging into the dyndns account showed that my public IP address was incorrect, so in the end I pasted my public addy in the appropriate window and it worked.  For a few days then repeat.  In desperation I paid plusnet for a static IP and it's still doing it?  I haven't a clue where dyndns.org is pooling this IP from. I just don't know what to do.  Could it be my router firewall network services filter? Is there a setting in dyndns.org that I can force a static IP?  I'm stumped.
Thanks a lot
(wasn't sure exactly where to add my post to, please move if needed)
22 REPLIES 22
NedLudd
Grafter

Re: dyndns.org help please

You can buy a static IP address from PlusNet for a one-off payment of only £5!  Cheesy
Then - problem solved! Cool
Geoff,
York.
launton
Grafter

Thanks but I already tried that and it's still changing  Undecided
NedLudd
Grafter

How do you mean it's still changing? I've had one for about 3 years and it's never changed. Static IP addresses work like that - they just NEVER change.
Geoff,
York.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

What he/she said ^
If you've now got a static IP then you shouldn't need to use a dynamic DNS hostname.
Instead of browsing to hostname.dyndns.org when trying to access your webcams, just use the IP address, e.g. http(s)://212.159.X.X
If for some reason you still want to use a dynamic DNS service, then it might be worth trying an alterrnative like dtdns.com if your router/client supports it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

launton
Grafter

I'm not explaining myself properly sorry.
I know my supplied ISP static IP can't change, and it hasn't, but as far as dyn's site software is concerned, when it updates itself it's changing any IP that I enter to a random IP address starting with 146.xx which are American IP's. This kills my cam and happens a few days later.  This has only happened in the last few months on plusnets network.
Am I making better sense?  I am getting old  Crazy

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I have an IPcam on my static IP, password protected, on an obscure port and accessible from anywhere.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: launton
when it updates itself it's changing any IP that I enter to a random IP address starting with 146.xx which are American IP's.

What is causing the IP address to update?  Do you have something on your network that is ruuning a DynDNS update client?  The address shouldn't be changing at all unless you're telling it to...  It looks to me that your update client hasn't correctly updated the discovered WAN address.
Take a look at your camera settings and see if it has a built in DynDNS updater - If so, try rebooting the camera and see if that fixes it?  Is it your router that runs the update?  If so, give that a kick instead!
Another thought - Have you sold/passed on a previously used router or other device that may be updating the setting?   If all else fails, change your DynDNS password and the problem should go away Wink
[Edit]I believe you may be using a HH5?  See this thread about a relatively recent change to DynDNS that may be preventing the HH5 updating (if that's what you've got setup as your update source)
NedLudd
Grafter

You don't need Dyndns with a static address. All Dyndns does is receive IP address changes by, either loading some updating software on your PC, or by you instructing your router to tell Dyndns !
Dyndns then amends the IP address for the url for your site out on the web.
I hope that you're not paying Dyndns and using a static IP address!
Geoff,
York.
launton
Grafter

Thanks again for the replies.
I guess the answer is I don't know.  The router is an Asus RT-AC68U with Merlin firmware.  I guess that could be pumping out something under using my dyn account causing it to happen.  
NedLudd
Grafter

But, if that's what happening then you can't be using a static IP address. If you are, then the auto IP address update will not happen as your IP address has not changed!
Geoff,
York.
launton
Grafter

Quote from: NedLudd
You don't need Dyndns with a static address. All Dyndns does is receive IP address changes by locating some updating software on your PC!
It then amends the IP address for the url out on the web.
I hope that you're not paying Dyndns and using a static IP address!

I use dyn for other things too like monitoring the works cameras at home.
I know how it works and what it does.    
NedLudd
Grafter

You can monitor the cameras at home by using your static IP address - http://www.111.222.333.444:port number for camera!
Geoff,
York.
launton
Grafter

But, if that's what happening then you can't be using a static IP address. If you are, then the auto IP address update will not happen as your IP address has not changed!

Well somethings changing it, or we wouldn't be having this conversation Smiley and something's changing it to an IP that's not from the UK (see attached pic to 1st post)  I assure you my IP is static.
launton
Grafter

You can monitor the cameras at home by using your static IP address - http://www.111.222.333.444:port number for camera!

I know I can, but that's not why I'm asking the question.